Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 cpe and am using a holley 600cfm carb. It runs pretty good except for 2 things. First is from a complete stop if you accelerate fast there is a slight hesitation. Second when you park it in the garage and come out a little later the garage smells pretty strong like gas. I thought this was normal till a buddy of mine installed a different holley carb on mine temporarily and both problems weren't there anymore.

·
7,013 Posts
Could be sea monkies in the needle valves.

Take the air cleaner off and look into the carb from the top at idle. Is there gas dripping into the carb?

If so, this is a problem. Pull the sight plug from the side of the offending bowl and see if gas runs out everywhere (might shut it off for this check). If so, you either have the fuel level way too high OR you have a sea monkey or two (some sort of gas varnish deposit) in your needle valve so that you end up with gas overfilling your fuel bowl and being forced out into the carb by fuel pressure.

From my experience this causes massive off idle hesitation and the gasoline odor you have described.

Phil

·
Registered
107 Posts
It sounds like you may need to adjust your acell pump and throttle plate. If your primary butterflies are open to far at idle, your secondary metering system will drip. The bog on acell means you might have to much play in your pump arm, not getting a good enough shot when you nail it. Good luck! :: http://spaces.msn.com/members/garrysgarage/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts