Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am looking for opinions on the strongest manual transmission new or old... preferably with overdrive (5 or 6 speed). I need somethign that will hold upto 600HP/590lbs of torque NA AND a 200-250 shot of nitrous one in a while. I have been looking at the TKO,TKO II, T56,Richmond 6speed,jerico,lenco,gforce... I dont really want to use one of the last 3 due to price. What are yalls opinions? Thanks!

Mathew

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Take a look at Richmond Gear's manual boxes...

The catalog is available in PDF form from this page

Here's a swap done by a Chevy owner...

We OF's will remember this trans as the Doug Nash....a true pioneer in the field of racing manuals.

Unless you're running racing tires and a 4 link, you'll never get all that HP to the pavement...*G*...not at the start anyway..

I've ridden in a couple crash-box cars....an experience one does not forget...hi-back buckets are required *G*

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I plan to be running slicks... possibly a mini tub on the rear end, 4link or ladder bars, etc. I actually emailed Richmond after speaking to mytoys who is running one of them... they said it would *probably* would hold up to my engine NA. But they say with nitrous it will probably last 1 or 2 passes. I really like the idea of 6 speeds.. 2000rpm with 4.56 gears at 60 sounds great to me... Whats your opinion? Do you think it would hold up? I have heard the t56 is pretty strong... viper owners pushing 900HP are using their stock trannies and they are holding... I donno.. All help is appreciated.. Thanks!

Mathew

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
600HP? Nitrous? 4 link? Slicks?

Just a wild guess here, but, this car isn't for dropping the kids off at soccer practice, is it?

Reality check time. This is a drag race special purpose car, right? If you really want to be competitive, and you don't want to spend Thousands of dollars, the way to go is a Dan Williams Ford Toploader. Stronger than T56 or Tremec. Much cheaper than Richmond. Also realistic.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See i would love a toploader.. they are great trannies but the track is over an hour and a half away via highway. If im running 4.56 or lower gears and a 4 speed im going to be running some major rpms... I will check into the place though.

Mathew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts