Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through a complicated bit of family business i found myself going to the auction again tonight. We were looking for a car to punish a 17 year old. Thats right buy a car to punish a teenager. So we were looking for an ugly duckling. Something bery mechanically sound but pug ugly.

It was amazing, most times there are so many deals, tonight there were less than 400 cars and we came up with one car we thought perfect. A 94 mazda 626 with less than 100,000 miles. Everything seemed great except the paint was garbage. So we wait, and wait and wait till it finally ready to go up. They pull the car forward and i start to hear a valve knock that i had not heard 3 hours earlier. We passed.

But then caim the perfect car. A 1990 Lincoln continental. Ice cold air, 5.0 engine with 70,000 miles. The Mother vetoed the car. It went for $200.

So after 8 hours in the georgia heat we came up empty and i bet i get talked into going back next week.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
hrm, parents buying ANOTHER car for the kid that just completly totaled his brand new stratus... which i would SO love to have, btw... man... so, so spoiled...
anyways, my point:
get him a late 80's ford aerostar with the body rusting off. talk about embarsment. for that matter, just about any minivan would be pretty good.
btw- whats wrong with a 626? i drive a '90 323 every day... yes, its ugly, but its mine /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

- Jason

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 626 had unbuffed wax for a paint job. Litterally that is what it looked like. SOmebody put wax on it and left it for a year or the wax ate into the paint. What it probably was the clear coat all came off and you can't wax the color coat. The paint was truely ugly. I figured with a macco paint job that car would have looked beautiful. A true ugly duckling turning into a swan. The problem was the valve knock. It was probably nothing but when you buy at auction you don't get a chance to think, you run on gut instinct. The tires had 200 miles on them. The car only had 100,000 miles so i figured it would go easy another 50,000 and that car had the coldest A/C in the yard. The car sold at $1,100.

If you've never been to an auction you should try it. The sell 2-3 cars per minute. I missed another great deal because i waited a few seconds too long and they sent the car through with "no sale" before i figured out that the guy hit his lowest price. And i'm not exactly sure what the price was. I think it was $250 but for all i know it was $1,250. Why can't these guys just auction in english!

·
Registered
926 Posts
SO where was the auction Mr. Head. There's not a good one here in Chattanooga and I'd like to find one somewhere nearby. I drove by what looked like a huge one last weekend in Nashville, but it was Sunday and I haven't investigated it yet.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a local auto auction (Oakwood Arrow) in Oakwood, GA which is just south of Gainesville, GA. I call the place the bottom rung of the auto business. At least 2/3 of the cars go through under $3,000. Its the perfect place to find a cheap car. But you got to be sharp and a bit lucky and not mind having to fix some things after you get it. They open it to public inspection at 4 pm, No cars are allowed to move after 5 pm. at 6 pm they start running cars through at 2-3 cars pre minute. You can't remove the cars till after the auction or the next day. The best part is its FREE!

I havn't told my wife but if i can pick up another car with a 5.0 H.O. for $600 i probably would buy it. So be carefull, auctions can be addictive. Its hard to resist a good deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.