Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out how to disassemble a 4 spd. shift lever with reverse lockout from a '65. Specifically, how do I remove the reverse lockout lever and cable?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had my friends at ERA Replica Cobras take mine apart last year so I could get it rechromed. They had to cut the wire and then gave it to me to get chromed. I gave it back and they installed a new wire and welded in place. I do not think it is an easy do-it-yourself job.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
How much did they charge you for it? I have one also that has a broken cable but not sure how to put a new one in. Sounds like you have to weld the cable to the shifter lock out mechanism. The cable seems awful thin to try and weld it with a mig. How do you do this?

·
Premium Member
19,252 Posts
It is silver-soldered in. There's a guy in MD that specializes in this repair, but I'm not sober so I don't remember his name. PM me and I might be able to remember.... :eek:

·
Registered
254 Posts
They did it for me because I have bought three cars. I paid for the chromng and gave the guy who did it $20. I have dealt with Bill Healy for rebuilt shifter assemblies and I would not hesitate to have him do it. ERA was close and convenient since they took it apart, had it chromed and put it back together. It probably was silver soldered and not welded. All I know is he had a whole roll of new cable and when I got it back it looked and worked like new.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips. It looked like it was not going to be an easy disassembly. The reason I'm trying to get it apart is that it looks like it was always missing the spring-loaded bushing on the driver's side; the result being 39 years of wear on the cast portion of the lever. I was planning on having a local shop build the worn area up with weld and then machine it to proper dimensions. I'm now thinking that I'll just look for a replacement lever.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts