Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Did you go through the base setting procedure? Set throttle blade, adjust tps voltage with iac unplugged, set timing with spout unplugged, etc? Assuming you have 5.0 timing cover too as a different cover could have a different tdc mark. Or you could try advancing the distributor a little while running to see if that make a difference. Guessing is not the best idea but may give an answer.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the pointers. Really I haven’t gone through all the steps. Often by the time I start the car and run around to the engine bay, it might splutter before I get in to fiddle. Also with open headers currently it’s pretty obnoxiously loud in my garage. Once I get some mufflers on it I’ll more likely be able to go out and play in the afternoons after work without waking the neighbourhood (live in suburban Los Angeles, my neighbours are 8” away).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Haven't worked on it in a good minute. I have almost finished buttoning up an exhaust for it. I live very close to my neighbours so wasn't fair to try running this thing to work on it. Now that there is some mufflers on it hoping to get some more time to really dig into it, especially during this whole quarantine season... Will post updates once I have them!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same problem with my 67 5.0. Unfortunately a Ford Flex crushed the rear end before I could figure out what exactly the issue was. I think that the problem may have been the EEC. If you're use a stock EEC you have to remember that they are 30+ years old and will do weird things. I've trying to repair two with no luck (I used to be an electronic tech). I replaced the Caps, and checked all of the other components and traces and couldn't find any other issues and they still didn't work properly. I bought a 68 coup to replace my 67. A few weeks ago I bought a 2000 Explorer HO 5.0 and a 2001 4R70W to drop into the 68. I'm going to use the Holley Terminator X Max to control the EFI and the 4R70w trans. It comes with a brand new EFI harness (bonus). I'm moving away from the old computers to eliminate these issues. The Terminator X is just for the EFI (no trans controller), and is cheaper (also comes with a with a new harness)
Also, might want to make sure that your MAF and throttle body are properly paired if they were purchased separately (if you bought a new MAF, or something). Because we all know that the auto part store neeever screws up, and give us the wrong part. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I went through something like GunRunner64, without the accident. I started with the 5.0 A9L EEC and wiring harness. I even tried the quaterhorse chip to program the EEC. It ran okay, but never great. Even the 5.0 guys have issues with the programing once they start modifying the engines, including a simple MAF or throttle body upgrade. The surging at idle is the worse.

I traded out the Ford EEC for a Holley HP ECU and MPFI wiring harness. I got that programmed pretty damn good. Got rid of that 30+ year old tech. It even worked with the Ford TFI module.

I have since changed out the comb-over intake for a single plane intake with Holley terminator TBI. It looks correct under the hood, where I never did like the comb-over plenum. I also have a Victor JR MPFI intake in a box if I ever want to add fuel rails and MPFI.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
I swapped out my EEC-IV with a Quarterhorse for a Holley Sniper and regret it every second. (I dont' think the 5.0 guys have issues tuning, at least I didn't). I do have issues tuning the Sniper, or getting a nice pedal feel (progressive linkage, linear, extension, yadda yadda), or getting as nice off idle response as the eec.

Oh well, no going back now!

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Did you dump the codes?

You can get a set of 8 brand new Bosch 19 lb injectors for $200 from the Rock.

Follow jritchkers will not fire checklist. Sounds like adjusting your idle screw UP to get to 700 rpm and checking your TPS voltage are in the works (get it close to 1.0). You might need to replace it, those are notorious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
644 Posts
I cleaned and verified my injectors before installing them. At least verified they open and spray, not fuel quantity or pattern.
I bought a momentary contact foot pedal and added battery clamps on one side and an injector plug on the other. Pulled all the filters off the injectors, soaked them in carb cleaner, then pulled them out, hooked them up to the pedal and powered them up while blowing compressed air through them. new rings and filters.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a defferent issue with my install i had one wire that was off on my harness I chase that problem for at least a month finally figured it out with help from here. I'm over in the San Fernando valley

·
Registered
497 Posts
A couple pointers.
1. Make sure it's timed correctly because the distributor also controls injector timing. So doing things like moving plug wires over 1 spot on the cap with no consequences on old cars isn't true.
2. I self tuned my car with a quarterhorse and it was always funky. I swapped to a megasquirt pnp ecm on my car and it drives so much better. I'm wondering if I had ecu problems with the ancient Ford computer. It took 3 ford ecus just to find a "good" one that worked .
3. If you have "calibrated" maf/injectors you might swap them for known good parts. I was running a 24lb c&l maf with 24lb injectors and the car wouldn't start. This was on a 351c I was putting efi on so I was sure it was something on my install. I finally decided to swap in stock maf/injectors and it hit on the first crank and purred. I tried 24lb stuff again and no luck, so I got a maf and injectors and the car ran great.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I swapped out my EEC-IV with a Quarterhorse for a Holley Sniper and regret it every second. (I dont' think the 5.0 guys have issues tuning, at least I didn't). I do have issues tuning the Sniper, or getting a nice pedal feel (progressive linkage, linear, extension, yadda yadda), or getting as nice off idle response as the eec.

Oh well, no going back now!
Is your 5.0 stock?

Are you using the 20-122 for your progressive linkage? I just bought the 20-122 adjustable linkage and plan on installing it on my Holley terminator TBI this weekend.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts