Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a pretty tough situation and looking for some help here. My dad gave me his early 65 convertible D code 289/4 speed 10 years ago (I was 21 at the time), he's had many, many old cars but this one he kept along the way (had it since 1971). The car had been in his basement for the prior 20 years and I didn't initially do anything with the car. 5 years later I decided to go to work on it. WOW, I had no idea how BAD OF SHAPE this car was in. But I was eager to restore this car. At this point I was 26/27, married with one son. Over the next 5 years the car was restored, built engine, every piece of rust gone, small fortune spent.
The car drives great, runs great, looks great.... but I don't need it. I'm 32 now with 3 kids aged 6, 4, and 2... I'm in good shape financially but again, I do not need this car at this point in my life nor do I really even want it.
I've casually brought this up to my dad that I'm thinking of selling it and although he doesn't say much I KNOW it would bother him. Am I putting too much burden on myself here? I really wish I would have just shoved it back in the basement and left it there forever untouched BUT it is what it is at this point....

·
Registered
759 Posts
If it bothers you that much and you don’t need the money, you may feel better just selling it and giving the proceeds to your pop as a thank you for getting you started with the project to begin with.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How old is your dad? Maybe he would like it back. If money is not a big issue, let him use it as long as he would like.
Yeah, I don't believe my wife would be on board with that necessarily. He gave my brother the 66 fastback ( far from perfect but much better than the vert was) 10 years ago as well so I've proposed to my brother to trade me that fastback and some cash for mine thinking that would somewhat ease everything but he didn't really want to do that. This would make the most sense bc I would be saving my brother a huge hassle and keep both cars around.... its a mess lol

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it bothers you that much and you don’t need the money, you may feel better just selling it and giving the proceeds to your pop as a thank you for getting you started with the project to begin with.
He would never take the money. The car is just becoming somewhat of a nuisance, If I keep it I need to build a proper place to store it (more money) and of course upkeep, maintenance, etc... ****ty situation for me. I almost look greedy if I were to sell it b/c they know I don't NEED the money but I definitely would invest it in other areas

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
How old is your dad? Maybe he would like it back. If money is not a big issue, let him use it as long as he would like.
+1 We don't know all your specifics, if he has a place to keep it etc. etc, Unless your Dad has a medical or physical condition at 66 that prevents him from driving it, I say let him use it/have it until a future date if money is no object for you and you have a positive relationship with him.

If you are a car person, and this car seems to have some sentimental value to it, more now to your father than you from what I can tell, but if you sell it.......the chances of getting back are slim. I sold my 90 Bronco a few years ago, wish I never did now, I miss it. Now, since the Bronco is coming back, people think a 90 high milage, rusty Bronco is worth 10,000. I sold my motorcycle a while ago also, since it was sitting. I moved to a new area, missed it, and ended up buying another one, but wish I had my old one. I understand you sank money into this project, but in the future if you have a positive relationship with your Dad, you are going to wish you still had the car. My Dad passed away about 6 years ago, miss him big time. I remember him with a 79 Bronco and am currently on the lookout for one that looks like the one he had, or another project to make it look like the one he had. In the future, unless you know in your heart you will not miss it, if there is any doubt, I say keep it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
He would never take the money. The car is just becoming somewhat of a nuisance, If I keep it I need to build a proper place to store it (more money) and of course upkeep, maintenance, etc... ****ty situation for me. I almost look greedy if I were to sell it b/c they know I don't NEED the money but I definitely would invest it in other areas
BOTTOM LINE:
1) Your dad won't drive it, and my bet is he won't sell it or he won't sell it at a good price (has to do with the amount of skin you put into the game);
2) It is useless to you, so, in reality, you don't want it.

So, turn ownership over to the next person.
How about you put it up for a high price on Craigslist or EBay (or even on BringATrailer, and if it sells, then FATE has made a determination for you.
BTW, how much are you asking? Someone on this forum might want it, or want to trade for it.

·
Dimples
3,856 Posts
Why not let your dad be the steward of the car? We don't live forever, and you might get a chance to give him 10 or so years of driving enjoyment. You'll get the car back eventually and unless he takes poor care of it, it'll only gain value in that time.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BOTTOM LINE:
1) Your dad won't drive it, and my bet is he won't sell it or he won't sell it at a good price (has to do with the amount of skin you put into the game);
2) It is useless to you, so, in reality, you don't want it.

So, turn ownership over to the next person.
How about you put it up for a high price on Craigslist or EBay (or even on BringATrailer, and if it sells, then FATE has made a determination for you.
BTW, how much are you asking? Someone on this forum might want it, or want to trade for it.
I like the way you think lol.
Honestly, me and dad aren't real close and I honestly thought this car and process would bring us closer, entirely different story all together. (it didn't)
I would guess the car is worth around $28,000 - $33,000 but I honestly don't know that for sure. I've looked at prices but lord they are all over the place.
It is a 1964.5 (early 65) D code convertible, 289/4 speed. poppy red, white interior/top. interior still has a few details to be 100 percent finished and the top is functional but no perfect.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
With you and your dad not being so close, all the more reason to consult with him. No need to drive a wedge in the relationship by giving someone a reason to be upset.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Yeah, I don't believe my wife would be on board with that necessarily. He gave my brother the 66 fastback ( far from perfect but much better than the vert was) 10 years ago as well so I've proposed to my brother to trade me that fastback and some cash for mine thinking that would somewhat ease everything but he didn't really want to do that. This would make the most sense bc I would be saving my brother a huge hassle and keep both cars around.... its a mess lol
Huh.
So you don't want the vert but you'd be happy with a fastback......

All kinds of interesting going on. I've got an opinion but I'm 110% sure you don't want to hear it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts