Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
6,927 Posts
I'm not sure you're going to be able to get 30 out of it. I could be wrong. I watch that bringatrailer.com site...which seems to get all the money out of everything they list...and vert's are more in the 18 to 25 range here lately. Not sure if that makes any difference to your decision.

Phil

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Tough decisions and some sound advice/options have been given. IF you do decide to sell and there is even a REMOTE chance of wanting it some day, you may try listing here in the forum. Going this route would enhance the odds of keeping an eye on it and possibly repurchasing it down the road should your desires change.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm not sure you're going to be able to get 30 out of it. I could be wrong. I watch that bringatrailer.com site...which seems to get all the money out of everything they list...and vert's are more in the 18 to 25 range here lately. Not sure if that makes any difference to your decision.

Phil
you could be right. and this absolutely would influence my decision somewhat.

·
Registered
514 Posts
For what it’s worth, I don’t think you’ll get as much for it as you want. I say keep it and enjoy it with your kids. My 12 year old loves riding in the Mustang. You’ve put a bunch of money into it, so have some fun. Take dad and a kid or two to a local cars and coffee, maybe it will bring you closer. When your dad is gone, you’ll wish you kept the car.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
The only issues here are self imposed ones. A 30k price tag is gonna slow the sell imo. My spidey senses may be off but I'm detecting pressure from the wife to sell, as it doesn't seem you truly want to sell it, hence the self imposed road blocks. Either way it's time to man up and make a decision. We cant help with your personal life.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I do understand that cars can be a hassle, I've been dragging a 57 TR3 around with me since I was 11. It rarely runs but that's usually cause I spend all my time playing with the Mustang. Why not put it up for your "price", that number that if someone came up to you and said; "I''ll give you $3x,xxx for it right now" and see what happens whilst you consider options. Times change, kids grow and leave quicker than it is possible for you to imagine. Parents have no idea how fast their kids will be gone, it seems like it will go on forever but I say its like the futility of trying to explain to a virgin who has never self-satisfied (if you know what I mean) what an organism feels like. You HAVE NO IDEA how blink-of-the-eye fast you will be empty nesters. I would ask those of you who are empty nesters to like this post to show just how much he doesn't understand how soon he will be alone. You may be happy then to have the Convertible...

I have lots of cars that when I see them on the road, I think longingly about the one I used to own and shoulda kept. You will tell your friends about the beautful red Mustang convertable you shoudda kept...

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
So...you have a wife, kids, in good shape financially and don't need to sell. Can we assume you have a garage? If so, stick it in there and forget about it for the next 15 years. If the car has any sentimental value at all, you will regret parting with it...especially considering than one of your kids may well want the car one day. If the car has no sentimental value...sell it and move on. If you don't have a garage...build one....you will need a workshop of some type anyway if you do any type of projects around the house at all.

·
Registered
238 Posts
As others have said... maybe your dad would like to buy the car back and keep it as it sounds like he's more attached to the car than you are at this point? Either that or maybe sell the car if neither of you want it and give your dad half? Idk, if you're in your early to mid 30's he can't really expect you or guilt trip you into keeping the car if it's not your cup of tea. I'd be honest with him, flat out tell him the car doesn't do anything for you other than the fact that it was his at one point. Ask him if he wants it back and if not, tell him you're likely going to sell it. I hate to see a car sit just because someone refuses to sell it, yet they don't use it or take care of it. Not saying you don't take care of the car, just an in general thing. I saw a 1969 Dodge Daytona sitting in a dude's driveway for years and he wouldn't sell it. They ended up moving into an apartment and still the car sits in a parking stall. Doesn't look like it's been started up or driven in over a decade but he won't sell it for whatever reason.

·
Premium Member
6,710 Posts
I am getting ready to sell my first car (not the one in the sig pic) that I have owned for 51 years. My dad and I built the car, but I am not using it anymore, and it is time for someone else to enjoy it.

My dad is not alive anymore, so he will not see it go.

But, realistically, I told my wife, when it is sold and being picked up, that she gets to handle the transaction, as I will not be around. I am going to coward out and not watch it go away.

51 years. I still remember the excitement of seeing the front end peeking out of the garage when I went to buy it, and I decided I did not want to see the back end when it goes away. Because when it is gone, it will be gone from me forever. 😩

Well, here is where I am at on it. There is no answer that is going to turn out well for all time, so just know it is going to be rough.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
You sound like a businessman, so make the car a mascot for your, or someone else's business. Own the car, lease it or loan it to a business or individual that will take care of it, perhaps even another local Mustang lover that would like to preserve or even finish-detail the car in return for its use as a way to bring business into a local auto, tire, or upholstery shop. You could even let a publication company work on it, drive it, test new parts and photo it, build the car's reputation and even build its value through reputation and documentation, then still have Dad's convertible when you get like some of us do when we think of our Dad. With all his faults, AND with all mine, my Dad made me extremely happy when he helped me get MyFirstCar. It still makes me happy when I drive it, wash it, whatever. Here's a picture of my Dad standing next to mine about 1993...He cared enough to give me the car. Yours cared enough to give you his.
6891.jpeg

He won't always be here.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You sound like a businessman, so make the car a mascot for your, or someone else's business. Own the car, lease it or loan it to a business or individual that will take care of it, perhaps even another local Mustang lover that would like to preserve or even finish-detail the car in return for its use as a way to bring business into a local auto, tire, or upholstery shop. You could even let a publication company work on it, drive it, test new parts and photo it, build the car's reputation and even build its value through reputation and documentation, then still have Dad's convertible when you get like some of us do when we think of our Dad. With all his faults, AND with all mine, my Dad made me extremely happy when he helped me get MyFirstCar. It still makes me happy when I drive it, wash it, whatever. Here's a picture of my Dad standing next to mine about 1993...He cared enough to give me the car. Yours cared enough to give you his. View attachment 744946
He won't always be here.
THIS. you nailed it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I am getting ready to sell my first car (not the one in the sig pic) that I have owned for 51 years. My dad and I built the car, but I am not using it anymore, and it is time for someone else to enjoy it.

My dad is not alive anymore, so he will not see it go.

But, realistically, I told my wife, when it is sold and being picked up, that she gets to handle the transaction, as I will not be around. I am going to coward out and not watch it go away.

51 years. I still remember the excitement of seeing the front end peeking out of the garage when I went to buy it, and I decided I did not want to see the back end when it goes away. Because when it is gone, it will be gone from me forever. 😩

Well, here is where I am at on it. There is no answer that is going to turn out well for all time, so just know it is going to be rough.
Its never easy letting go of something you have had for so long. Best of Luck Bob!
Rick

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Its never easy letting go of something you have had for so long. Best of Luck Bob!
Rick
Ex-wifes... ;o)

I've felt the same way 1947 Indian I built when I was 17 sold at 27, 1962 austin healy 3000 Mk II, and the absolute worst was a 1962 Jag Mark II sold to put myself through college. White with wide whitewalls and rare bucket seats. I have always loved those cars since early childhood - the smell, wood, dash, look ugh! - I literally cried a little as it drove off with my girlfriend consoling me :cry:...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts