Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So they said it would be fun to work on an old mustang...they said it would be satisfying. Lol. My first project was a fail. I needed to install new strut rods on the 68 mustang. Simple right? So I got the rods and bolts. Saw that the bolts needed to be pressed into the rod. Looked around online and someone said to use an air gun on the nut and pull the bolt into the rod. Simple enough. So I started the process with my 8 year old. He had the impact gun and I had the wrench...we started. It was working. Yeah. Then it stopped making progress with an 1/8" left to seat. I took over...seated it a tiny bit further and nothing more. Looked good to me so I went to pull the nut back off the bolt. It turned but didn't move. So I'm guessing I stripped the bolt/nut, correct? What is your advice? Anyway to easily get the nut off?

For future installation, where can I take the rod and bolt to have the bolt pressed in?

I hope I provided a comical story for your Friday.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
If you're certain that it's stripped and won't come off, you will need to use a cutoff wheel or other cutting tool to remove it. The portion left in the strut rod can then removed. A good, independent auto parts store that offers basic services should be able to press the new bolts in. They should also be able to remove the old one if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Torque the loose nut and bolt the same as the other 3 nuts ? Don't have a 68 Shop Manual for specs but 70 lbs should be good. I always but a wrench on the other end when torqueing this type of captive bolt. Brian

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
757 Posts
Hmm pressed on? Pretty sure the 68 is the same as the 67 and they are just bolted on? I hope you are not adjusting caster way past its point? Here is a video.

With the bushings and other parts it should be close the length of the ones you took off. Unless I am missing something specific to a 68.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm pressed on? Pretty sure the 68 is the same as the 67 and they are just bolted on? I hope you are not adjusting caster way past its point? Here is a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGXwYbUaLJg

With the bushings and other parts it should be close the length of the ones you took off. Unless I am missing something specific to a 68.
So now I'm thoroughly confused. I'm talking about the 2 bolts/nuts that go on the lower control arm. The bolts are pressed into the strut rod and the 2 bolts are tightened from the bottom.

Ben

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The bolts are different on the '68 thru '73 cars. This is the set that NPD sells.
If the length of the shoulder is longer than the replacement arm's thickness, it could be bottoming out before the head pulls all the way down. This could be the cause of the head sitting 1/8" off the surface.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bolts are different on the '68 thru '73 cars. This is the set that NPD sells.
If the length of the shoulder is longer than the replacement arm's thickness, it could be bottoming out before the head pulls all the way down. This could be the cause of the head sitting 1/8" off the surface.

Dang it. I bet you that's exactly what happened. Good call and thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts