Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Found this funky bracket today pulling my strut rods out. It's on the lower control arm side, on top of the strut rod and is held down by the strut rod bolts that go into the lower control arm.

Was not expecting to find something like this. Shop manual does not show it and all research turns up the bracket at the front of the car, where the bushings go. The bolts holding the rod in are shoulder bolts; wondering if the bracket was put in as a spacer so the nut has enough threads to tighten onto. That leads to another question; do these bolts sound like what's supposed to be in there?

Anybody know what this bracket is? What it does? Can I omit it when reinstalling the strut rods?

Bracket removed from car:
IMG_4204.jpg

Bracket shown how it was positioned on strut rod (driver side):
IMG_4202.jpg

Bracket plus hardware:
IMG_4203.jpg

Passenger side, before removal (1):
IMG_4207.jpg

Passenger side, before removal (2):
IMG_4206.jpg

All thoughts would be appreciated!

Alex

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've found pictures online that show it, but no discussion of it. See below:

In this pic, the bracket is mounted underneath the strut rod. On my car, it was between the bolt head and the strut rod. Where does it go and what is it?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spindle stop. Without it your tires will hit the frame rail.
Look at your spindle and you will see a corresponding flat spot that the stop will make contact.
Huh, imagine that. Thanks for the information. Strange that the contact is just metal/metal? Do these things bend/wear, and do I need to replace them?
Looks like a steering stop to me Steering Stops
Rusty
Thanks for the info. Do the steering stops install under or on top of the strut rod?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've found pictures online that show it, but no discussion of it. See below:
View attachment 798132

In this pic, the bracket is mounted underneath the strut rod. On my car, it was between the bolt head and the strut rod. Where does it go and what is it?
Based on my new understanding of what this is and what it is supposed to do, I assume that this picture is wrong? The outside edge of the steering stop should be against the spindle side, correct?

Also, would love confirmation that the steering stop installs underneath the strut! Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Mine were on top of the strut rod.

Rusty

Reactions: Badbenz94

·
Registered
64.5 Vert
65 Posts
I was getting ready to post the same thing. I just replaced my suspension with the Open Tracker Racing level 1 kit. The new lower control arm is just a little wider and that steering stop doesn't fit, the leg that goes down beside the LCA is hitting the side of the LCA.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was getting ready to post the same thing. I just replaced my suspension with the Open Tracker Racing level 1 kit. The new lower control arm is just a little wider and that steering stop doesn't fit, the leg that goes down beside the LCA is hitting the side of the LCA.
Any thoughts?
Sorry for the late response, been really busy lately!

Not sure what to tell ya on this. I wasn't expecting the bracket because the shop manual didn't show it; or rather, I didn't notice it, because the shop manual shows the strut rod with the steering stop built in (as part of the actual strut rod). I have no issues with the lower control arm now that I've finished the install. It's odd that the steering stop is hitting the LCA... was the control arm designed to be used with a different style of strut rod? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the Opentracker stuff--unfortunately!.

I'm sure you're not the first one to have a problem like the one you're describing. After doubling checking that you've installed things correctly and you haven't made a silly mistake, I'd give Opentracker a call. I'm sure John has encountered every shape and form of these problems and he'd be able to point you in the right direction, or at least whittle down some potential problems and help diagnose what might be causing your issues.

·
Registered
64.5 Vert
65 Posts
Thanks, that's a good idea. at the moment I just left them off. I don't have the rest of the car ready to drive yet anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts