Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have removed the strut rod, am in the process of "trying" to remove the bushings from the front of the support arm under the front crossmember. The bushings are stuck in place. Prying, hammering with chisel does not work. Is there a trick to removing these bushings? are they spot welded perhaps? My next step is to cut out the rubber to see what is going on with the steel collar / sleeve. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,501 Posts
The steel sleeve is frozen to the strut rod with rust. There was a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. You may be buying at least one new strut rod when you get the sleeve off.

Upon rereading it sounds like the strut rod came out of the sleeve. The bushings and sleeve are stuck to the support bracket that's welded to the car? The hole in the bracket is about 1.5" diameter and there is a "nipple" on the bushing that fits in the hole. You ought to be able to pry the bushing out.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, will give it another whirl. Was using a larger pry bar with no effect. Felt as though I was doing damage to the bracket so I thought I would attack it another way. Thanks

·
Registered
35,276 Posts
An air hammer to the side of the sleeve will shatter the brittle rust within, allowing the sleeve to slide off.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got the first set of bushings removed. After seeing how they were put together the next side was a piece of cake. Inner sleeve rusted. Gonna try inserting a photo for future reference. I used a cutting wheel to cut an X in the washer. Once that was off the bushing came right off.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts