Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally installed the control arms, spindles, and steering linkage on Dees67 today.
I went to pull the old strut rod bushings and ran into a brick wall. How do you get these
bad boys out? The inner cylinder seems to be swaged over both the outer washers.
I think these are factory original since I can't see how they could be assembled by hand.
I tried to chisel them off with an air hammer, but the rubber bushing has too much
give and the chisel just bounced on the washer.

So who's pulled these bushings and how did you do it?

Rich
'67 C-code 'vert (Dees67)
'69 GT FB (project car)
Check out my band http://www.brickyardblues.com

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Hi, when I did mine I used a small angle grinder and ground off the part that is holding the washer on and then just knocked them out the other side. John

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The sleeves are a slip fit cylinder in cylinder arrangement...over time they tend to rust themselves together. I used some creative prying to finally get them apart intact. But as another poster states the best way may be to go after the lips of the sleeve with a grinder. Alternatively with the strut rod out you may be able to use a hammer and punch to drive the inner sleeve out (but as I remember I couldn't barely tell where the seam was). Good luck.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by abn on 03/11/01 08:40 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts