Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

My strut rod bushings are throwing out some MAJOR squeaks when I hit a bump or brake....is there any trick to replacing them? It look like I just loosen the bolt, remove the large metal cover/washer and replace the bushings....do I have to watch out for flying springs or do any sort of calibration or torque the bolt to an certain ft/lb???? HELPPPPPP I'm sick of the squeaking! Also, can you recommend a good brand of bushings to buy?

Dennis Curran
'65 Mustang Coupe

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
First things first, are you completely sure the squeeking is the strut rods and not the common upper control arm squeek?

The strut rods are used to adjust the caster of your front end, so you will need a front end alignment after you replace them. When you attempt to take these off make sure you have plenty of time, a couple beers, and that all small children are not within shouting distance /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

These suckers are a real pain to get off if they have not been removed before or adjusted much. You may find that you will actually have to buy new ones so be prepared for this cost... if it's in the budget go for some TCP, Global West, or Cobra Automotive ones (they don't use bushings).

If you are buying new bushings then do NOT use poly bushings. Poly bushings are too rigid for this purpose and will result in broken strut rods.

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jay,

Thanks for the info. One question: I do think it's the strut rod bushings, but I'll check one more time....if it is the upper control arms, is there any way to fix that squeak other than replacing them?

Dennis

Dennis Curran
'65 Mustang Coupe

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
The upper control arms get dry over the years because Ford decided that the only people who should be allowed to lube them are the workers on the assembly line /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

You can buy a kit that replaces the zerk fittings on either end of the upper control arm shafts (look like the bolt's on Frankenstein's neck) with 90 degree fittings that allow you to grease them. I isolated this problem on my first car by soaking the upper arm shaft with WD-40 and watching the sound go away for a week or so. Give it a shot!

You can also have someone bounce the front end while you poke your head around under there to determine the source of the sound.

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT

·
Registered
239 Posts
whoaa!!!!!!!!!!!! could be wrong but i think that 64---66 strut rod bushings can be replaced no sweat and without adjusting the steering,, mine certainly were!
I just removed the strut rod from the bottom ball joint and replaced the rubber bushes along with the front sway bar bushes. As far as I know the wheel alignment will stay the same on a 64--66 M ustang, it's from 67 on that the alighnment will be affected by replacing these bushes. Yes do them up tight too but don't slip and burr your knuckles..
Hope this helps, good luck.

65,289,c4,lemans red

1 - 5 of 5 Posts