Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a few quick ones ... The threads on my strut rods are kind of hosed up; Bad enough to screw up the nuts. I've ordered another pair which are better but still messed up. I'm guessing its common.

Can I just run a die down to fix the threads or try again for a good pair?

finally... The new bushings I have included an additional metal cup like washer with a hole big enough for any part of the assembly to fit through. I'm not sure where it should go.

See similar one Here

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Not sure if you can chase those threads or not. If you get the nuts to turn very easily, you'll probably want to "double nut" them to prevent them from backing off.

The bushings go with the fat ends towards the a-frame, and the smaller ends towards the ends of the tie rods. The metal washers go at end of the smaller ends of the bushings, and the sleeve, obviously, down the middle. The other metal cups go on the rearward side of the a-frame and are just to orient the bushings to the a-frame better.

I pound the sleeve into one end of the busings, then put that on the back side of the a-frame, then use the nut to draw the front side busing onto it. It's much easier to pound the sleeve into one of the bushings before you ever start the install, than it is to try and force it into the bushing, laying on your back.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I would get new ones. If a strut rod fails you are going to make a sharp, immediate turn. Don't want that.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Don't mess with strut rods, cough up the cash for a new set, or order an ajustable set like the Street or Track type.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Why not cut them off and make your own adjustable strut rods ala JSHarvey? Problem solved and handling improved for under $100. :)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I installed a set of Moog bushings and washers several weeks ago. What a difference. The washers were a little bigger than the originals but were dished in the correct way and had the correct ID opening. The kit also came with new nuts. Regarding your question, I'd chase the threads with a die if the rest of the rod is ok. I see you are in PA so rust can weaken them over time. A broken rod will ruin your day....

The nuts need to be a little hard to turn down, sorta like the nylocks for hydraulic lifter adjustment, but more so. If they go too easily, then yes, double nut them as John said. Don't forget to get it aligned. But you might go to a hotrod shop for that. The usual shops just don't pay much attention since they want cars out as fast as possible. Too bad you're not out here. The place I take my car to is a one-man shop and he charges the same if it takes 20 mintues or two hours. And he inspects everything.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the thing... These ARE new... From LMM.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Oh the strut rods are new as well? All I know is my strut rods, the threads looked perfect, and new nuts required some serious force on a breaker bar.. I think they must be designed that way so they dont back off.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Just had another thought...are the strut rod threads metric? If so, they can get close but they won't fit SAE well enough for such an importand part. If they are SAE, I'd also check the nuts. You just never know these days.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
They should take a little work to get down so they won't come off or move when driving, messing up your alignment or worse. If it looks solid, might be a good idea to get an alignment. Congrats on finding a solution!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts