Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had some tough ones before but these things are killing me. I have rebuilt three sets and had some tough ones. I have soaked in kano for two days, used a propane torch [I knew that wouldnt work] and beat on them till I was pissed. I really enjoy rebuilding hinges and would like to continue on. Has anybody come up with a tool or small press that will do the job? I know a torch would work but I dont own one. I am trying to think of a way to press them out without spending a ton of money. Ideas?

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
They normally pop right out. Are you sure the ones you are working on don't have barbed pins? That would make it more tough to remove. I can't imagine any door hinge being that stubborn for the actual areas that get seized is so small. Sure the heads of the pins aren't accidently resting against something? I use a dedicated deep socket for all door hinge removing projects. A couple whacks with a drift and a BFH and whoola!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Craig,
I, at one point was beating on the pin with a sledge hammer and a punch and they still wouldnt pop out!! I have never had this kind of problem ever!!! I am at a loss for words on this one.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Wow, Never seen such a stubbord hinge. To me heat would be the next choice. Either send me a plane ticket or mail it down to me. I'd love to take on such a challenge.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Having only rebuilt one set, my experience is kind of limited. But if it helps any, maybe you could carefully grind the head off the pin and try and punch it through from the other side?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts