Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

im working on replacing the front wheel bearings on my 69 mustang that has drum brakes.

I have removed the drum, outer and inner bearings but cannot get either of the cups to come out. They appear to be stuck. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to remove these? I have tried using some leverage with a screw driver along with hammering at them but they dont seem to be budging at all.

I have researched it online but havent found a good way to address the issue. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

I have attached a picture of what both the inner and outer look like.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
The races are pressed in. You will need special tools to "press out the races".
Take to machine shop, they will help here.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hello All!

im working on replacing the front wheel bearings on my 69 mustang that has drum brakes.

I have removed the drum, outer and inner bearings but cannot get either of the cups to come out. They appear to be stuck. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to remove these? I have tried using some leverage with a screw driver along with hammering at them but they dont seem to be budging at all.

I have researched it online but havent found a good way to address the issue. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

I have attached a picture of what both the inner and outer look like.
View attachment 755017 View attachment 755016
There are notches in the drum where the cup seats. I use a large drift and a hammer and alternate from one side to the other and drive them out. Been doing that for 60 plus years and never had to take them to a machine shop.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
I used the weld truck on a 10 bolt rear axle that kicked my arse for over an hour. Weld hot on one side, quick quench, bastard popped right out!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
There are notches in the drum where the cup seats. I use a large drift and a hammer and alternate from one side to the other and drive them out. Been doing that for 60 plus years and never had to take them to a machine shop.
X2

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yarb has the easiest way and I did it on my 70 drum brake car today. I use a hammer and a Pony clamp. The end of clamp down inside the drum with the edge right on the race. Tap with the hammer going all the way around on the outer race. The inner race does have the notches, which makes it easier. Out in one minute each.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This did the trick! Thank you so much for the suggestion!

·
Registered
380 Posts
No problem!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts