Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, first the ??? Which way does the end of the tranny seal go, with the little round spring inside or outside the tranny? Now for the real doofus of the week. I had borrowed a snap on tool to remove the tailshaft housing bushing, last stop on removing the little bit of wobble left that translates into shaking thru the seat. Man, that tool slicks that thing out smooth. Puts the new one in easy too. Well, go to put the new seal in and it's pretty big so I got the biggest socket I had to drive it in. Well, it wasn't quite big enough to go all the way around the outer circle of the seal and no way I can use the seal driver set I have because the tailshaft is sticking out of the back a little to prevent that. I go to slide the yoke into the back of the housing when finished to install the driveshaft...and no go. I push and push and push...finally gave up and yanked to remove. Got really mad and snatched out the new seal, minus the stupid little springy thingy. I snake it out and it had come loose and gouged the crap out of the new bushing...Lets just say I was very, very angry...I have had enough of this at this point. So I removed the bushing because it is screwed at this point anyway, and it does have a huge gouge in it from the sping. So I guess I'll call the toploader guy again tomorrow and explain my "predicament" and get another new bushing and seal :eek: Only good thing is I did go ahead and remove the tailhousing and replaced that little gasket that goes there to stop the sepage that occured...anyway, another day, another doofus! ::

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Mark, thanks for the reply on the tranny seal question a few days ago. I will give it a try when I get the new bushing. I did not want to use the other new bushing when it had been grooved pretty badly by the spring that came off the back of the seal. Thanks again...gary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts