Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, everything was working just fine on the car. I had my fan running with out the shroud for a while. Everything was good. I put shroud on tonight. Get everything else tight. Start it up. LOUD metal type sound. I stop the engine spin the fan by hand and there is no contact at all with the shroud. I take off the fan and I spin the "little circle thingy" at the end of the water pump that holds the fan and pulley(is it called an eccentric???). And I spin it and its squeeky as hell. I sprayed wd40 all over and it doesnt help. I think, well maybe its out of water in the pump or something and thats why it making this terrible sound. So I hook everything back up run it 5 minutes to get H2o circulating and it makes the same sound. SIGH . I dont get it. It worked fine before. If it helps- my temp idiot light has been going on all the time, even when I start it cold. I thought the light was screwed up, but I guess its telling me to go spend all my damn money and buy a milodin high volume pump:) I just dont understand why it would crap out after a fan change. BTW. I forgot to mention I took off this flex fan that was to big and put on the 4 blade fomoco with spacer so It would fit my shroud. Tell me I dont need to buy a water pump, please??? Well shoot mine as well put a new cam ,lifters , double roller chain, radiator, thermo, and electric fan while the pump is off:)Thanks, Josh.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The fan bolts you are using might be too long and are protruding through the pump flange too far and touching the nose of the water pump.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
I am inclined to agree with Ray. Check your bolts to be sure they are not too long.

If you run with too-long-bolts for a while it will eventually mill out the front of the water pump, which will then let the fan wobble, which will eat holes in your radiator. I have seen this happen.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Could it be a bearing finally crapped out in the water pump? That might explain a wobbly fan "tinking" on the shroud. If the shaft feels tight with no side play, you may be ok there. I have problems with pumps leaking when the seal fails after the bearing goes, and the side play in the shaft allow water to leak out. That may not be the problem at all, but that is ussually the way our luck works around here.....

We had to dissassemble our field sprayer pump today after the spray booms wouldn't pressure up. Found out the sprayer operator accidently dropped a Roundup herbicide label (memo pad sized) into the spray tank and the thing dissolved and plugged up the pump and filters... sheesh! Took us till evening to get the crud out of the pump impeller and filters and get the rig rolling again.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I agree with the other posters. If your water pumps shaft will wobble or if there is antifreeze coming from the weep hole, also use a long screw driver and listen to the bearings it's probably bad. You really need to learn some patience grasshopper.Want to sell the car now?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I don't want to sell my car. Do you? And no I don't have any patience anymore. I must be the most un-mechanicaly inclined person in the world. Every time I go to fix one thing I break 3. And Im not kidding. I love old cars and I love working on mine. I am more unhappy with myself than the car. Anyway, I got pissed and hit the "flange" with my socket wrench and yep, the freakin squeek went away. Hammered it in a little more,Put everything on, no more problem. I guess it got pulled out when I took the pulley,spacer, and bolts out. Dont know, don't care. Thanks alot for those of you who helped. If I would have never unsuccesfully tried your remedies, and felt it to be such a lost cause, I would have never gotten hopeless enough to beat the crap out of it with my wrench and fix it:) Thanks, Josh.

btw. Got the car out on the road with the new shroud and it runs much cooler.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just read my last message and I sounded like a *****. Let me assure you I really do appreciate your help. You guys rock. And sidewinder, I do need patience, I guess the fact its my daily driver for work everyday and it was approaching midnight was why I was worried. Going from the stang to the city bus is not very pleasant:) And believe me, I have done it ALOT. Makes no AC, or power brakes in the stang not such a bad thing. Thanks, Josh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts