Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you probably read that I got a 69 today, here is a stupid question for you: How do you release the parking brake? I tried to push it all the way to the floor and then let go, I looked for some sort of a lever. I know the answer is really simple, I'm just not seeing it.

TIA
Brian & Dad
65 coupe
69 coupe

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Now I feel stupid too so your not alone but I remember a small chrome plated handle just under the dash to the left of the steering column.

Yours missing?

·
Registered
192 Posts
My lever is broken and I have to reach up by the pedal and pull where the arm is supposed to be attached. Be carefull not to get your fingers between the pedal and the base when it swings up, ouch /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. I have a used one that I have to get installed after I clean it up, some day soon.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
If you do not see one located like the prior post said, the handle may have broken off at the brake housing (like mine). The assembley's are available thru several Mustang suppliers if this is your problem.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Don't feel stupid. I took my dad's 69 T-bird to take my drivers test. I had set the brake like our drivers ed teacher said we should do when we go down there. Well I had never set the brake on that car and when the patrolman said we could start I had no idea as to how to release that brake! Those T-birds worked so the brake would release by itself when you put it in gear! I looked for five min. for some sort of handle. Glad the patrolman knew how it worked. I bet he was laughing it up inside but did I ever feel stupid.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
There should be a handle connected to the parking brake under the dash as others have indicated. It's a pretty simple changeout with I believe 3 bolts and the clip to hold the cable in place. If you need one let me know I have an extra one here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts