Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are head gaskets the same as valve cover gaskets?

69 Mach 1= Competition Orange

Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no the head gasket is under the head, the valve cover gasket is on top. totally different things

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
busted head gasket=expensive if taken somewhere and alot of work if not
busted valve cover gasket=easy to replace in not that much time

San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully

Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remember-the only stupid ? is the one not asked! I agree w/previous post. The head gasket is under the cylinder head and the valve or rocker cover gasket is on top of the head to seal the covers down.
The head gasket goes in between the engine block and the cylinder head to keep combustion chambers sealed off from one another. It also helps keep coolant from leaking into the cylinders from the passages inside the block and heads.
The valve cover gaskets keep the valve covers sealed on top of the heads to keep oil inside the top of the head instead of leaking all over the engine.
If you buy a "head gasket set" it will usually contain the valve cover gaskets,valve seals,and many miscellaneous gaskets.
You can purchase valve cover gaskets seperately. I personally like the "Victor" gaskets as they're made of better materials(leather of some sort, I believe).
Good luck!

Was Bob Emmerich on old forum

Premium Member
6,052 Posts
No such thing as a stupid question. You werent' born knowing everything. Today is the day you learn this.
Now 293 ci (.030" bore) with Holley 450 and 295,000 miles
MCA #49294
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.