Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a chassis part that I'm starting to think is undercoated....some of those undercoatings are almost TOO good at staying on!!

Any suggestions for removing it before I get a can of paint thinner?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, you have been helpful......kinda humorous; here I've been such an Eastwood proponent, and I missed that product, LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I used the good old school razor blade then finished with a beadblaster. Wire wheel worked okay but the blade or a flat screwdriver for the "managable parts" was fine.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I put a cup brush on a grinder and got after it...I did use a large screwdriver and putty knife to get most of the loose stuff, but the cup brush took it right off. It is very dusty and dirty, so wear eye protection and a dust mask. It actually came off very fast like this, just very messy. good luck, tp.

·
Registered
10,488 Posts
barke cleaner and carb cleaner will generally dissolve the undercoating. Oven cleaner will work too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts