Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here lately I've been getting 3 and 4 e-mails everyday that have the same virus attached. And it's getting really tiresome. Fortunately Norton quarantines the virus. But it is getting to be a real irritation.

Anyone know a way that I can get this to stop? Or find out where it's coming from?

The virus is w32.klezh. It's coming in from a different e-mail account every single time (I've saved that info). And of course I don't know any of the people. I'm thinking that it could be from a an infected web site (or the web site files) that is common to all the e-mail addressee's? That possible?

Makes me so damn mad. I for one would very happily show the idiots who write this virus crap, the error of their ways in a very painful manner.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
you're infected with the virus, and it keeps making emails that are infected and sends them to you. this virus is REALLY nasty, i had it about a month ago. go to www.trendmicro.com and follow their instructions for a manual delete. good luck.

- jason

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
You should go to the Symantec site and get the cleaner for this virus, just to be safe. Follow the instructions very closely.

I get zillions of these daily. Sometimes 50 in a day. I have set Norton to silently delete infected files so that I don't have to interact with each message.

The ones that really bug me are the ones that got sent out using my email address as the From: because they keep bouncing and I get all of the bounce messages. It is a pain.

It is possible that you have been infected, but that is not a requirement for you to get all of those messages. I am not infected and still keep getting them.

As for the ISPs not trying to stop the messages; it is not really their job to do so. If they blocked messages that they consider to be virus infected you might stop getting your regular emails as well. It is far better that they just relay things and let us decide what is valid and what is not.

Here are the pertinent links:
W32.Klez removal tool
Symantec Virus Encyclopedia

·
Registered
422 Posts
Best protection is a solid virus protection software running in the background on your computer, and update it every few weeks. I use Nortons and it pretty much takes care of of my computer automaticly, updates, scans, etc. You will need to scan your computer for any viruses. And of coarse never open any attachments in an e-mail. I did it a while back, before I got the Nortons software and it deleted half my harddrive. Very bad stuff out there. Something I did do recently was to change my e-mail address, I was getting 20-30 spam e-mails daily, so now I only get maybe one or two. Good luck.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope. My puter is not infected. I've had Norton on this thing for a long, long time. We have it set for auto upgrades, auto scans, etc. And I run a manual scan for virus issues every week.

I figure this stuff must be coming from someone's mailing list, or something like that.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, not infected. I have Norton running on a regular basis. With auto upgrades, auto scans, etc.

It's just so damn irritating to keep getting these stupid e-mails. There ought to be a way to backtrack the systems and find out who started this crap. Then someone (I'll volunteer) could give them something constructive to do with their time. Something like recovering in the hospital from eight broken fingers and two broken thumbs and the like...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts