Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gopr0936-1.m4v

been having this issue ever since it got colder here in OK. this was the easiest way to show what is happening. also keep your eye on the tach. Do I need to get a new coil?

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
Typical symptom of using either an open element air cleaner or having an inoperative heated air stove/tube/flapper. Colder air is denser than warm air. Denser air with the same amount of fuel ends up lean. Lean mixtures take longer to burn so when the intake valve opens and before the exhaust valve is fully closed, combustion is still going on in the exhaust port and "pop". You could try a bit more accelerator pump "squirt" and/or advancing the timing a couple degrees.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Can't really see the tach, but assuming it is bouncing when it misses would be a good clue to take a look at your points. Assuming you have points, replace them and set the dwell. Go back to the basics...
Coil could be a culprit also as any weak spark is going to show up more during acceleration as you have a stronger mixture to burn.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Typical symptom of using either an open element air cleaner or having an inoperative heated air stove/tube/flapper. Colder air is denser than warm air. Denser air with the same amount of fuel ends up lean. Lean mixtures take longer to burn so when the intake valve opens and before the exhaust valve is fully closed, combustion is still going on in the exhaust port and "pop". You could try a bit more accelerator pump "squirt" and/or advancing the timing a couple degrees.
with doing timing I don't know the exact degree I am at. I can only go off of a notch in my ballancer witch I assume is TDC 0*.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts