Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new (barely used) set of 14X5 Style Steel Wheels. I have rarely seen them on 64 1/2's, and then only on LATE June-Augest 64 1/2 cars. The set of wheels I got are really clean, but probably could use some touch up or re-painting on the inserts. Can anyone tell me for a 64 1/2-65 car, if the inserts should be charcoal paint, or polished with no paint? I have seen both for early 65's, etc. If Charcoal, any suggestions on finding the correct paint and how to prep and apply it?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!
Drew

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
The '65 cars had the inserts painted argent, which I believe is a light silver shade. The '66 cars had the dark gray inserts. It sounds like the wheels you have are for a '65 (inlcuding the 64.5 cars) and the polished inserts should be painted argent.

Since my post contradicts the first response to your thread, I suggest getting a confirming opinion. Mine is based on what I got when I ordered the wheels for our '65 from NPD. I wasn't expecting the light inserts and called them back. They explained the difference and the Mustang Recognition Guide seems to confirm it through the pictures they show. On page 150, it does show drawings of the GT styled steel wheels for that year with one set labelled as chrome and one as argent. Both are light colored in the drawing and I've never seen any dark-colored styled steel wheels for those years. So that's my circumstantial case and I'm sticking to it! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
95 Posts
Technically, there was no Styled Steel Wheel option in '64 1/2. They didn't become available until the 1965 model year and and the factory didn't begin to install them until late-September, 1964 (at least for Dearborn. San Jose was even later). The early '65 wheels were argent while the later ones (which would include GTs when they were optioned with SS wheels) were a dark grey (with slight greenish tint, if you really want to get in-depth). Charcoal paint works very well for these (I've used mid-eightes Ford truck charcoal with good results).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gang. Good information. Mach1, great pictures. Got a close-up picture of your wife's wheels? Both are great cars.
chr646566, I want to agree with you, but I've seen these wheels in Concourse (Trailored and Driven) in at least two shows. I don't recall any point deductions...although that could be. Two or three people and one of my books (Mustangs '-64-'73) mentioned that some items, including SS Wheels, adjustable passenger seat, etc. etc. from August 22nd ('65 cars) started showing up early on 64 1/2 cars early from Dearborn, as parts became availabe/or unavailable as production blazed along. Is it possible for these wheels to have shipped on any 64 '1/2 cars, or did I just make a doofus mistake on my purchase?? I do show the car as a Concourse Driven car.

In any event, I guess I'll go with Argent and see how they look. If I get ripped at shows for having the wrong wheels, I can go back to my proper wire look originals with the three color center spinners, but they're a bit aged, pitted.

Any special instructions / concerns on painting these inserts Argent, they are chrome now.

best,

Drew

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I can take one for you tomorrow. I'll respond to this thread again with the picture.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too cool, thanks Mach1Pilot!! Both of your cars rock!

I really inspected my wheels today, they really are in great shape, just not quite show condition, and unfortunately charcoal inserts. After studying the wheels, I'm not quite sure if I should tape off the chrome that I don't intend to paint (around the inserts), or try to make some kind of template for the whole wheel, that I can use on the other three wheels. Also, do you suggest I remove the current paint, or just scuff it up before painting with Argent??

best,

Drew

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
http://webpages.charter.net/bpratt/images/P7080012.jpg

Here is the picture of the wheel from our '65. Thanks for the compliments on the cars, BTW.

Anytime you are painting over old paint, I would recommend scuffing the old paint before applying the new. If the wheel has been on a car before, you'll also need to clean it thoroughly. You could make a template, but you'll still have to tape it down. Just use newspaper to cover the chrome areas and tape the edges.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Too cool. Wheel looks great. Mine have been really cleaned up, but the charcaol will have to be changed to Argent, duh.
I think I'll scuff up the old paint, or sand with 2000 grit, or finer then tape and paint like you suggest. I played with some tape last night, but couldn't get the curves just right, so I'll have to look for some kind of flexible plastic tape, like electrical tape or something I can cut with an exacto or curve if necessary.

thanks for the help!!

Drew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts