Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping there's no such thing as a dumb question and with risk at exposing myself as a rookie am looking to confirm something with regards to styled steel wheels.

I've seen two versions of SSW's: one with chrome rings and some which are solid one-piece design. Is the difference here from different manufacturers, original versus repro, or some other reason?

I'm trying to make up my mind on which wheel/tire combo to go with and am leaning towards the SSW's. However, I want to order (I think special-order...) these in 15" instead of 14" and would prefer the one-piece look as opposed to chrome rings.

Opinions/comments?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I believe that the original one piece wheels are for 64.5 and 65's. The '66 and '67 had the trim rings. I think that all of the 15" repro styled are the one piece design.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
My understanding is the 14" have trim rings, 15" do not.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Repeating...

'65 no beauty rings, all chrome...14" and 15" aftermarket.

'66 center chrome, rim black, stainless beauty ring. No 15" sizes.

Both '65 and '66 use button red center emblems...aftermarket black center is also available.

'67 uses the same rallye wheel as '66 but the center is blue and has a slight volcano look instead of the button chrome center. Blue is the only color center emblem available with volcano holder.

There is more than one supplier of these rallye wheels and the chrome on some brands is superior to the others. Also the center button emblems vary...some emblems have flat looking background color and others are wavy looking. Originals are flat looking background (quality control issue on some reproductions). Know what you're buying, the lowest price isn't always the best quality wheel.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4 types of s/s wheels:
64 1/2 all chrome incl rim but w/argent paint in coves
65, same as 64 but with charcol coves both 64 an 65 are 14x5 width
66,chrome center w/black rim[requires trim ring] also 14x5
67,chrome center,notch in center hole for center cap[67 only cap] black rim.[needs trim ring] 14x5.5

hope this helps Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts