Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 390 convertible I’m putting back together. It came with styled steel wheels and I’m wanting to put the car back to original as much as possible. I found a set of wheels locally and it looks like two of them are original parts for sure but the other two I’m not comp sure if they are original or aftermarket. The person selling them has had them powder coated so they would need to be refinished back to stock. He only wants 200.00 for them. So my question is would it be worth purchasing these and having them re chromed etc? I’m sure they blasted all of the original finish off to have them coated So they would have to be sent to be chromed up. I would do the paint finish part so no real expense there. does anyone have any pics of the original stampings or have a way to tell if the other two wheels are original also? I’ll post some pics of what he sent me.

·
Registered
504 Posts
1965 and early 1966 SSW were fully(inner and outer section) chrome plated. The later 1966 SSW only had the center section chrome plated, while the outer section was black, and used a trim ring. The 1965 and 1966 SSW had a round hole in the middle for the "cap"(red), while the 1967 had a notch for the 1967 cap (blue).In addition, 1965 and 1966 SSW were 5.00" wide, while the 1967's were 5.50" wide. All of the original 1965-67 SSW had the center sections riveted to the outer section.

There are a few places around the country that will remove the center sections for replating, however, as riveted wheels are no longer legal, after having the center section replated, they will weld the center sections to the outer section before returning them to you, along with a good sized bill.. By the time you have all of that done, you will likely have several hundred dollars tied up into each wheel, and might as well have bought a new set of reproductions.
If it were me, I'd pass on your $200 deal, and wait until you find a nice set of originals. Just my opinion.

First picture is of an original 1966 SSW, the second picture is of an original 1967 SSW.

Hope this helps.

Bob
IMG_6459.JPG
IMG_6463.JPG

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's implied in what Bob said in his reply, but if you do decide to go with a set of 67 wheels, you'll almost certainly need to replace the trim rings. They're just snap in beauty rings and used ones are almost always scraped and abused. If you want it to look new, budget another $100 or so for a new set of repros. Finding an NOS set of rings would likely be akin to finding a unicorn.

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
@carguytroy The ones I see you have pictured look like a reproduction since it is clearly marked 14x6. My 66s are 14x5 and riveted together have the KH logo for Kelsey-Hayes, who made them among other things, for Ford. I paid $250 for a set of 5 and the chrome was decent, not perfect, one of them with a couple of bigger scratches I used as the spare. I cleaned them up, touched up the scratches with paint, and repainted the charcoal and black parts before adding new center caps and the correct lug nuts. I may buy some new trim rings at some point.
20190601_232419.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments and advice. going to pass on these and keep looking for a set. I’m not in any hurry for them. Just collecting parts while I put it back together. Great info on the difference between the 65/66 and the 67’s also.

·
Registered
394 Posts
This probably doesn't add to what was already explained in great detail upthread, but for reference, here's what an old edition of the Mustang Recognition Guide shows for '67 styled steel wheels.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Factory Styled Steel Wheels for 1967 were 5-1/2" wide and the center section is riveted to the rim. Any other size is not original. Welded center sections are not original. If you are not going concours, the aftermarket has other options and already come chromed, a major expense avoided.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts