Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. How well do the Welded in subframe connectors really help on a 65 mustang? Are they worth it?
2. Being that this was or is a GT car does it really hurt the value of the car to have subframe connectors? I think I would like to add them if it does not hurt...

·
Registered
216 Posts
This answer is coming from a person who builds and sells tubular weld in sub frame connectors for Mustangs. Yes they do add some rigidity to the Mustang uni-body.... but the Mustang uni-body, or any uni-body is already a very rigid structure in and of itself. The whole body structure- floor, rockers, trans tunnel, roof etc. combine to form a very rigid structure. There were millions of Mustangs that went millions of miles with no connectors at all. I own two of them, and the cars go down the road just fine. No piece of metal is going to make a night and day difference on how rigid a car is unless it is tied into a roll cage structure as well. If you have a very high HP engine, I would install them, but for a mild street car, they are probably not needed. As far as value, I didn't install them on my '65 "A" code fastback because I figure it would hurt the value.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
I put them on all my mustangs now. I'm talking V-8 cars but would probably even put them on a 6-cyl. car if i had one and was going to keep it. I can tell the difference myself in the way the car handles and feels before and after. On the open road and especially on the drag strip. Wouldn't put them (like say) on a Boss, or high dollar rare car just because of the drilling/welding etc. Since I got rid of my last Boss never had anything i was to much worried about putting them on.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
IMO..... If you're building some "Trailer Queen" , Fully restored, 100% Stock, car.... than you may not want them! However... I prefer to have cars I can drive, and just because a '65 came the way it was engineered, doesn't mean they can't, or won't be an improvement. I believe Ford found a necessity, for the torque box, or it never would have added them? it's been my experience, that these cars perform better, with certain modifications...... Roller spring perch's, and better brakes, and more body support, such as Export braces, Montecarlo bars, Sub-frame Connectors, etc.... Another way to look at this is... If they were perfectly engineered, in '65, than why do we consider a Shelby, to have more Value? Didn't he Modify a Mustang? Why? They already performed.... he just tried to "get more (performance) out of them". So.... Figure out, what it is, that you want your Mustang to do, for you, and tailor it that way.....

Just my .02 sense.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Global West Subfram connectors under my 66 convertible. Day and night difference but like all other mods you get used to it very fast.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
What about on a '68 Convert. Yay or nay?
Many will disagree but a 65-8 cvt, and later one's too, already have the equivalent of a bit better than half a subframe. Finish the deal with a box section to rear of lower seat pan to the rear torque box.
Putting cvt torque boxes and inner rockers in will give much added strength to a fstbk or cpe with little notice of the addition.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
No doubt in my mind a convertible benefits greatly with the addition of subframe connectors.

I think if you have high horsepower and use it then subframe connectors are a good idea.

For most cars adding frame connectors does not hurt the value.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
IMO..... If you're building some "Trailer Queen" , Fully restored, 100% Stock, car.... than you may not want them! However... I prefer to have cars I can drive, and just because a '65 came the way it was engineered, doesn't mean they can't, or won't be an improvement. I believe Ford found a necessity, for the torque box, or it never would have added them? it's been my experience, that these cars perform better, with certain modifications...... Roller spring perch's, and better brakes, and more body support, such as Export braces, Montecarlo bars, Sub-frame Connectors, etc.... Another way to look at this is... If they were perfectly engineered, in '65, than why do we consider a Shelby, to have more Value? Didn't he Modify a Mustang? Why? They already performed.... he just tried to "get more (performance) out of them". So.... Figure out, what it is, that you want your Mustang to do, for you, and tailor it that way....

Just my .02 sense.
+1 . We'll said J.R.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of the torque boxes they have added to their car?

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
One other good reason to get them is to eliminate stress cracks in the body seams. If you look at the rear lower corner of the 1/4 window on any coupe you will see what I'm talking about. The seam where the roof meets the top of the quarter panel (right below the end of the drip moulding)....99 out of 100 have cracks there in the paint due to body flex. Just another reason to get them if you own a coupe.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts