Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of adding subframe connectors to my two coupes. At NPD, a square tube set are 84.95 while the Tubular set are 159.95. Are the tubular one that much better? My thoughs are that the square tube ones would look more stock (less noticeable) than the tubular ones.

Your thoughts?

John L. Anschutz
Allen, TX
68 Diamond Blue Coupe - 302
68 Acapulco Blue Coupe - I6 - 200
http://www.dallas.net/~jjmsansc/parts/Stangs.jpg

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Not knowing anything about the specifics of the units you are looking at, structurally there shouldn't be any noticeable difference in the round versus square tube, all else being equal. However, if the wall thickness or effective diameter is significantly different, that would be another story. Probably of more importance would be their length and whether they bolt on or weld on. Ideally, to resist twisting you would want a diagonal brace of some sort extending in a vertical plane. While that is impractical, the effectiveness of frame connectors in general for resistance to twisting in particular is limited.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572917&a=11954864&p=42994554.jpg

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
John- I'm sure both units will help - especially since your car is a convertible. Weld-on would be stronger.

One thing you might do is check out whatever Mustangs Plus recomends/sells. Those guys are pretty intense when it comes to making Mustangs handle. They have tons of road race experience and I'd bet they've figured out what does the best job.

In any case, linking front to rear will help your car out.

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

·
Registered
625 Posts
One factor in your decision might be "does the dealer have them in stock?" I ordered a set in December, direct from the manufacturer and still do not have them. Each time I call (About once a week) the parts are being shipped today. When I called this week, I told him if the parts are not here by Friday, my time, I do not want them. I will also notify my credit card company not to accept any charges from them. One positive, my card has not been charged yet.

·
Registered
514 Posts
From a purely engineering standpoint the tubular ones are stronger. The square box ones would look more stock under the car though.

http://216.71.48.244/archive/mikecar.jpg

65 Fastback 289 4spd in storage :-(
91 CRX Si... A.K.A. my go-kart with AC!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I've got a set of Competition Engineering subframe connecotors on my '66 coupe.

They are rectangular, and look like they belong on the car.
I've seen the tubular style before (probably made by TCP) and while they are very well make, don't look "right" on a car, IMHO.

Unless you're going to be doing some serious racing, I doubt you'd notice the difference between the two styles of connectors.

[color:black]1966</font color=black> [color:red]V8 Coupe</font color=red>
http://www.geocities.com/2bav8

·
Registered
408 Posts
The round tube connectors are torsionally stronger than square tube connectors. BTW the tubular ones are made by Global West Engineering.
If you go the square route-don't bolt them in as the catalog mentions is possible.

Scott
National Parts Depot
1965 Conv:Street driven concours
1966 Coupe: Daily driver and toy

·
Registered
283 Posts
How good can you actually see them? Do they stick down far enough to be seen just walking up from a distance, or do you have to be under the car?

67 FB GT S-code
4-speed

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Why buy at all?? If you can weld, why don't do it yourself. For example if you buy tube that is allowed for roll-cage, it should be fine for sub-frame connectors. If you don't weld, just go to you favorite welder and show him what sub-frames should be welded together.
About stock? To whom? Show people know that they are not stock, other Mustangers notice that good, you've done something to that rickety unibody. Non-Mustang people don't know what stock looks like.

Door handle first when cornering

1 - 9 of 9 Posts