Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guys that put on subframe connecters can you tell me if you noticed anything ride wise ? I don't race my car at all but wondered if this improves the ride at all ? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,054 Posts
Improved ride will be more of a new springs and shocks swap vs frame connectors.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,290 Posts
IME it makes the car "feel" more solid, and may affect the mental aspect of the ride (power of suggestion). Racing or not, SFC are something I would recommend for anyone in an older uni-body constructed car.

Reactions: rdnck1

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It's something I've thought about but haven't done. They will add stiffness to the unibody front to back but since they aren't tied side to side I don't feel they're going to do a whole lot for torsion stiffness. I put but torque boxes in my 66 2 years ago and they did make the car feel more solid. My car is a lot quieter as far as squeaks and rattles. I should note I have a Monte Carlo bar, Export brace and Z's lower TA style cross member. Sub frame connectors aren't going to hurt anyway and will add something. I think if you add them I would tie them to the rocker panels too if you can. Side to side somehow would be good.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
It's something I've thought about but haven't done. They will add stiffness to the unibody front to back but since they aren't tied side to side I don't feel they're going to do a whole lot for torsion stiffness. I put but torque boxes in my 66 2 years ago and they did make the car feel more solid. My car is a lot quieter as far as squeaks and rattles. I should note I have a Monte Carlo bar, Export brace and Z's lower TA style cross member. Sub frame connectors aren't going to hurt anyway and will add something. I think if you add them I would tie them to the rocker panels too if you can. Side to side somehow would be good.
I think that is highly dependent on which SFCs you get.. I bought global west tubular connectors...and out of the box they don't help with torsional rigidity...but combined with other modifications they can....for instance, I tied them into the floor the entire way(cutting up a set of USCT contoured SFCs), so its effectively the same as having a full frame rail now...or fairly close anyway...other SFCs like Spintechs or USCT are meant to tie into the floor the entire way to start with...but unlike the Global West connectors, they aren't DOM tubing....which has more inherent resistance to torsional flexing. Its one of those mods that I think need to be combined with other modifications to get the most out of.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I think that is highly dependent on which SFCs you get.. I bought global west tubular connectors...and out of the box they don't help with torsional rigidity...but combined with other modifications they can....for instance, I tied them into the floor the entire way(cutting up a set of USCT contoured SFCs), so its effectively the same as having a full frame rail now...or fairly close anyway...other SFCs like Spintechs or USCT are meant to tie into the floor the entire way to start with...but unlike the Global West connectors, they aren't DOM tubing....which has more inherent resistance to torsional flexing. Its one of those mods that I think need to be combined with other modifications to get the most out of.
I fully agree with your statement. I have 2"x2"x.125" square tubing I thought about making connectors out of. For the reason you stated the round tubing is stiffer is one reason I haven't followed through with my tubing. I was thinking it would just add more weight to the car. Absolutely if you can tie the sub frame connectors to anything else you can.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I put Global West SFC's on my 66 Convertible. The car was very solid with very little rust to begin with. Noticed less flexing when driving particularly over railroad tracks. I think it adds a decent level of rigidity to the frame reducing the flexing you feel.

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
The best conversion I have seen is adding front torque boxes, convertible inner rockers, and the upper and lower seat platforms. The latter would answer your torsional question. After installation, you'd have to use convertible carpet, convertible kick panels, and convertible sills. Once complete, it would appear stock to anyone not familiar with the difference.

Oh and doing this is far, far stiffer than add-on connectors. And a lot more work.

·
Registered
262 Posts
On my '68 coupe, I welded in Global West tubular subframe connectors and also added a metal trunk divider behind the back seat (screwed into place). The combo made a big difference in ride feel and eliminated most of "creaks and groans" one gets from a classic car when going over uneven surfaces.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,780 Posts
The best conversion I have seen is adding front torque boxes, convertible inner rockers, and the upper and lower seat platforms. The latter would answer your torsional question. After installation, you'd have to use convertible carpet, convertible kick panels, and convertible sills. Once complete, it would appear stock to anyone not familiar with the difference.

Oh and doing this is far, far stiffer than add-on connectors. And a lot more work.
The only 100% correct answer here. Anything less is just added weight.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts

I gave thought to convertible inner rockers but I just don't have the free time to invest in it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts