Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed (welded) in subframe connectors into my '65 fastback and am contemplating either making my own center section or buying the center section from total control products to tie the right and left side subframes together. I'm concerned about interference to the driveshaft or exhaust system. Does anyone have an opinion about the pros/cons of installing the center section? The car will have a 350hp 302 and won't be used at the track much if ever. Thanks

Tracy Blackford
Corona, CA
Restoration of '65 "Black" ford fastback in progress

·
Registered
152 Posts
I install the center section in my 66 FB. Had it modified with a loop to clear the driveshaft. I'm also running a tremec which does lower the shaft.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you are not going to be running your car on the track (either open track or drag racing) I would not
get the center section. You have done alot for chassis strength just with the front to back subframes.

I do have the center section on my 1968 CS/GT and did have to mofidy my custom dual system for
clearence. But; my car sees about four days of open tracking and about 6 autocrosses a year !
Major improvement.

Joe P.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I had not considered adding a center link to my subframe connectors, but was planning on adding a driveshaft loop.

I may now add the connector to act as the loop! What's the downside, if any?

Thanks for the idea!! Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

G

·
0 Posts
In my 66 302 Coupe, I had the TCP side subframe connectors welded in and the center cross brace bolted in.

The center section would not clear my old dual exhaust setup, but since I was getting a new 2 1/2" setup put in anyway, it didnt matter. The exhuast has to be tucked up really tight for that center piece to fit in.

I dont have any pictures of the setup yet, but I will shortyly.

Check out
http://www.members.home.net/tomtalford for some info and picture of the setup (when I get them)

Tom

66 Coupe:
302, AFR heads, Tremec 5 speed, Performer RPM, MSD Ignition, 9" w/ 3.70 gears, 4 wheel disc, subframe connectors, etc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts