Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driver's side

The front of the SFC won't sit flush with the frame extension and the rear will not sit flush with the rear torque box.

Half of the frame extension was replaced sometime in the car's life. I just installed a full DS floor pan (toe board to rear TB) and had no install issues.

On the front, I will be able to weld nost of the SFC, just not the bottom towards the front of the car

On the rear, I will only be able to weld the vertical part against the frame and the very rear of the bottom part.

I have pics but cannot post them.

Thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I had problems with my global west subframe connectors and had to basically cut off the perch portion from the tube clamp the perch in place and hod the tube in place with a jack and then reweld the connector together. After I got it lined up I welded it to the car. I hope this help but probably not what you wanted to hear. Good luck.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, these are the Global West ones.

This sucks: the front needs to come down and the rear needs to go up.

What if I notched the frame extension?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I figured out part of the problem:

The front part of the rear torque box seems to be dented in, like it was used as a jacking point but shouldn't have.

Should I just weld a wedge shaped piece to that area to take up the space between the SFC flange and the TB?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have mostly fixed my problem. I ended up drilling a hole in the top of the rear TB big enough to get a good-sized punch through to knock the dent out (both sides).

As for the front, I can weld 90% of it so I am going to go with that.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I had a similar issue with my Total Control SFC's. The connectors on both sides fit perfect at the back and at the very front there was nearly a 1/4" gap where the front of the connectors did not seat on the front rails. I used my chop saw to partially cut the front connectors off--I left the bottom of the rail end cap on the connector in place and bent the end cap up, then welded the seam I created on both sides. (Effectively, I cut a tiny pie shape out of the connector, but just one cut was enough). They fit wonderfully with that modification and I had no problems with the center brace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts