Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i got subframe connectors for my car and i have had one installed for some time now however i could never get the other one on. i couldnt get the front I bolt out at the front of the leaf spring!! :: i releived all the pressure off of it, oiled it up, and i could get it to turn easily but still even after hitting it with a sledge hammer i would not come loose. :(

has anyone else had this problem one of the guys at bel-kirk said i might have to melt the bushing out... :( any ideas??

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'd search the main forum, you will find lots of information on this topic. Just look for leaf spring bolt.

FYI, I purchased a sawzall and lots of carbide blades in preparation of my leaf spring removal.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Use a saw yall and cut it off.
Looks like Danno's been working too many hours again. I'm sure he meant to say Saws-all ;) :p

Seriously, those bolts can be a real bitch! Best to just cut them out :: I wouldn't use a tourch......... To many bad things to catch fire back there. Not to mention the chance of having hot molten rubber drip upon your skin ::

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
I've been doing this english thing much more better lately I guess. ;)

Torching it will not work, since the metal bushing is rusted on to the bolt. With torching it, you are just removing the rubber aroung the bushing. You still have to remove the bushing from the bolt and one of the quick ways is to cut it with a saws all. I would use a 18 tooth bimetal blade. I could never find the so called carbide blade. You will need a multipack. I'm guessing that you will use up ~ 4 blades.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had to deal with this ~5 yrs ago. Saws-All and many blades (and liberal use of my navy vocabulary) later and I got them out!
Mike
Good luck ::

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Milwaukie Tungsten Carbide at Home Depot. Multi-pac with 3 blades -- about 16 bucks.
Only used 1 blade with lots left over. Nice blade but fairly thin.
It did 4 cuts -- both sides of both springs. Not fun, very awkward. If you screw up you will bend/break a blade.

To really work subframe connectors should be welded.

·
Registered
471 Posts
::I never really had to many problems with those but i'm a patient man just kept sraying them down with rust penatrent and waited sprayed again waited and then put the nut back on until the bolt is even a hit it a couple of times with a 3 lb sledge and out they came have done about 10 pairs that way it works for me. ::

1 - 8 of 8 Posts