Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question .

Will Global West subframe connectors fit a 66 fastback with side exit exhaust ?

thanks Mike

·
Registered
189 Posts
The short answer is "Yes." The long answer is it will work BUT by tucking the exhaust under the subframe connectors you will end up with limited ground clearance. To get around this problem I did the following: I cut 6 inches from the back of the connector, welded a 6" long flat plate to the "new" end and then welded back the end piece that fits onto the back. This allowed me to "connect" the front and rear and gave me the room I needed to run my exhaust out the side without it sitting too low. Based on how the car handles I do not think I did any real "damage" to the connector. It worked for me.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
There are other alternatives to the standard subframe connector design, in case you're interested. I had my bodyshop weld in a custom setup that goes through the floor. Mine are also welded the entire length of each connector. Ground clearance was not reduced where the sidepipes exit in front of the rear wheels. Sorry, I don't have my exhaust done yet to illustrate.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
We used to advise against the subframe & side-
exit exhaust. It's definitely a tight packaging
situation, as you can see from the excellent
photos in the link.
Anything is possible, given enough time, talent
and imagination, though :eek:

ex-GW Gen Manager
1991-1994

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Duplicate

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Dr. Gas (Spintech) makes some subframe connectors that are designed precisely to allow for side exhausts with vintage Mustangs. I saw them at Mustang Depot and they have a hole in each side to allow for the passage of the exhaust pipes throught each side without losing ground clearance. Looks like a good setup if you don't want to lose ground clearance nor give up the structural enhancement of subframes and STILL want side exhausts. ;) They are pretty new and I haven't seen any reviews on them. You might email Jay at Mustang Depot and see what his thoughts are on them. He seems like an enthusiast who wants to help our hobby, and isn't afraid to talk to potential customers.
Daniel

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will be looking for a similar exhaust tip . Forgot to mention that the mufflers are Super Turbo's with the inlet and outlet in the front .

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks it's a little out there to cut holes in your subframe connectors to run some side exhuast?

IMHO, pick one or the other. If structural integrity is important enough to you to put in subframes then put em in, and put em in right. If side exhaust is that important, then do it right. I think trying to do both you are going to be making some compromises one way or another.... just my two cents.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
7ro1t13210 said:
Am I the only one who thinks it's a little out there to cut holes in your subframe connectors to run some side exhuast?

IMHO, pick one or the other. If structural integrity is important enough to you to put in subframes then put em in, and put em in right. If side exhaust is that important, then do it right. I think trying to do both you are going to be making some compromises one way or another.... just my two cents.
:thumbup: +1

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I believe their is a no-compromise solution with regard to structural rigidity and going with a side-exit exhaust setup, and this is running a connector of some type (such as boxed steel) through the floors. In fact, it only makes sense that rigidity is enhanced over a traditional subframe connector setup, given each connector is fully welded to the floor. And this can be done without sacrificing any ground clearance. The only downsides are the need to fabricate and having two bars run into the backseat floors.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
You don't have to "cut" your sub-frame connectors to install side exhaust. You can do both.

As previously replied, there is a sub-frame connector specifically designed for using a side exhaust. This "modified" connector will not detract from the structural rigidity of a regular connector.

If you already have traditional sub-frame connectors installed, then I agree, you should have thought about the whole side exhaust thing before welding those subs in.

However, where there's a will, there's a way.

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts