Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
That looks like the inner rocker from a convertible. The convertible basically has a doubled up rocker to make up for the lack of a roof. If you go this route, I would say to the other convertible pieces that will stiffen the chassis while you're at it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I hadn't, no. But since the car is wide open, I can do it anyway I want. So, maybe. Lol. Although if I am being honest about my long term plans, there is a roll bar/cage lurking in the back of my head. So a proper subframe connector makes more sense to me.

·
Registered
33,843 Posts
What am I seeing there? Did you box the topside of the rockers? Looks pratty damn slick.
Give DonP a cigar! What you're seeing is, in fact, a convertible inner rocker. My contention, since I was a wee lad, is that "subframe connectors" are basically additional supports for the floor. It's the "box" formed by the cowl, rockers, roof and rear structure that keeps the car rigid. Adding additional stiffness there, as Ford did when they had to, for all intents and purposes, chop off the roof on a convertible that will add stiffness, in addition to adding the "missing front torque boxes" on '65-67 non-verts.

Here's a great article on the subject: http://www.streetortrack.com/Installing-convertible-rockers-into-a-65-68-p-14.html

·
Registered
242 Posts
I do like the looks of the Maire setup with the x-brace.
I like the idea that the Maier Inc. connectors attach the end and further forward than most of the other designs. If I didn't already have a set of global west pieces around, I would probably make my own or go with the Maier Inc. design.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I'll be following with interest. As a simple carpenter of almost 40 years I really don't see how any of these could help much. I just don't see enough vertical reinforcement being added? I autocross without even torque boxes and experienced drivers who have driven my car seem to think it does good and have never complained about a lack of structural integrity.

·
Registered
483 Posts

I did that on mine too. However I recommend anyone wanting got put vert inner rockers in to drill your holes in the original pinchwelds and weld TO the new rocker. Going the other way is a massive huge humungus big really big massive royal PITA. Welding through the holes in the new vert inner rockers you are welding in a relativly deep hole and then you are welding bent over doing the top and you are welding in a really hard to weld position with the floor pan in the way underneath.
If you drill your holes in the stock rails it will be a very enjoyable time welding. If you do it like I did and everyone else does you will take forever doing it and be cussing and POed the whole time.Also doing it this way you will be welding the thin piece to the thick piece which is better as well. Learn from my mistakes.

Even though I have the vert rails I will also be adding some sort of subframe connectors.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I like the idea that the Maier Inc. connectors attach the end and further forward than most of the other designs. If I didn't already have a set of global west pieces around, I would probably make my own or go with the Maier Inc. design.

I did notice that. It's what piqued my interest.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I've got Spintechs on my '66 fastback and I like them quite a lot. Because they weld full-length along the floors, they are a lot more supportive than others that just connect end-to-end (which can probably twist very easily).

I originally put the Spintechs on at the same time as I put in new floors. Previously, the floors were mostly siliconed to the frame rails on the passenger side so the floor's structural integrity was very compromised. So unfortunately I do not have a direct comparison that verifies exactly how much the Spintechs help - after installation the car handled significantly better, but that might also be because the floors were finally welded to the frame on all 4 corners :rolleyes:

At any rate, they do definitely strengthen the floor and stiffen the car. I mostly know this because when my car got wrecked (a guy rear-ended me doing 40 mph faster than I was doing), all of the damage was limited to the rear quarters/trunk/axle area. I didn't have to replace my floors or the subframe connectors (and, because the floors didn't wrinkle, neither did the roof). The guy succeeded in shortening my car by about 18" but 100% of that shortening was localized to the trunk. So though anecdotal, I consider that to be reasonably good evidence that the Spintechs do indeed do SOMETHING.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I used the Global West subframe connectors on my '68 coupe... welded in. Made a big difference. I like how they look under the car. I have no idea how they compare to other subframe connectors.

^^ ditto. Fit perfectly and you can't really see them unless you look under the car.
And just because they're round doesn't mean you can't use a lift or jack stand.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Also, since I have been thinking about it since last night..... I figure that if the project comes home, I will most likely put the subframe connectors on it immediately. Then, further down the road, do the extra rocker support. I do have some wild daydreams about my dream coupe. So chassis support an strength are a big part of the overall plan.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I decided to go with the Maier Racing connectors because of the four points of connection. I think it's 0.125 wall, 2" tubing. They are heavy but appear extremely stout. I am confident they will be great structural supports for the x bracing I plan to build. This x bracing will include tie in points to the seat riser to essentially replace the convertible lower seat pan. I purchased the one piece upper seat riser that has the convertible like upper bracing to give me lots of vertical section in that cross section.

I have an unused set of Spintech's for sale if anyone is interested.

·
Super Moderator
8,854 Posts
I’d use the bolts only to hold the assy tight while it was welded in.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
What I plan on using.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts