Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for someone that knows what they are doing around old stangs to take a look at my front suspension. I know that some work needs to be done for sure, although I need a good reputable mechanic to check it out and suggest what to do. I just ordered some Edelbrock 454 16x8 wheels and 235/50R16 tires. I'll probably slap them on and then want to take it to have it looked at and probably a front end alignment.

Mustangs of Chicago is right down Irving Park Road from my house, although I've never stopped in there before. Do they do mechanical work? Or just a parts shop.

Looking for recommendations...

Thanks!
Andy

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and hopefully somewhere close.

G

·
0 Posts
If you look further down this forum there is a topic "Body shop mechanic recommendations" that might be of some help. Mustang of Chicago does complete restorations on mustangs in addition to selling parts. They did quite a bit of mechanical work on my car this past Spring and they provided me some estimates on future work, including replacing the rear frame rails on my car. I was pleased with the work they did on my car.

·
Registered
850 Posts
There's a good place up in palatine called Spring Align. their # is 847-934-1525. I've had my vette there before, they are pretty affordable since all they work on is susp.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Don't be afraid to try it yourself. I completely rebuilt the front suspension on my '68 by myself with hand tools (I did have to rent a spring compressor) and it wasn't that difficult. When I was done, all I had to do was take it to a shop for an alignment. Since you're upgrading to 16" wheels, you might want to consider upgrading your suspension with urethane bushings, gas shocks, beefier sway bar etc. All of the Mustang parts suppliers offer kits with all the hardware.

"Working on 'em is half the fun!"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts