Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some research on this forum looking for info on installing a high end stereo in my 65 fastback. I've found some good ideas but still am contemplating. What I want in the back is two 6.5" component speakers and an 8" sub. It seems like the ideal spot for these would be in the trap door (or ina replacement trap door). I've been looking at the car and measuring and it seems like it would be a very tight fit - if they would fit at all. I've also contemplated building a box for the trunk that would go right up against the trap door hole or maybe even attach to it. Seems a little tricky, though. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks-
Craig

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Please do not cut up a trap door. They are not being reproduced, and are getting hard (i.e. expensive) to find. Your idea of a box fitting into the open trap door area is a good one.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I agree with Midlife - dont cut into a virgin trap door for speakers. Rather, go to Home Depot and get some high grade 1/2 plywood and cut a piece to fit the trap door opening. you can cover the plywood with either carpet or "moonskin" vinyl (same texture as your headliner). This will blend in well with the surrounding textured fiberglass and give you the opportunity to install whatever speaker combination you desire while preserving your original piece.....

good luck...

randy

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
IF you are any good with wood, you can make custom fabricated inclosers for 8 inch free air sub woofers and mount them behind the fiberglass panels of the rear seat just in front of the wheel wells. You can put mid ranges in the kick panels and dash locations, and install 2 or 4 tweeters in various spots. This will give you excellent sound, trich installation, hidden sound, and a roomy trunk....this is how I am building the stereo in my 65 fb.

The other choice would be everything the same, but 10 inch subs in the trunk. Remember sub bass in non-directional and passes through anything. So you do not need to have line of sight to the subs to get the right performance.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm unclear on where you are talking about mounting the 8 inch free air subwoofers.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
when you sit in the rear seat, the black fiberglass panels to your left and right are removable. Take them out and build a custom box behind them and then reinstall them so you don't see what you just built....

here:
http://www.dodgestang.com/images/subframe13.jpg

and here:
http://www.dodgestang.com/images/subframe14.jpg

Coupes and fastback have a lot of air space between the interior fiberglass panels and the exterior sheetmetal.
And there are some good firm metal lips on the inside to bolt too for a solid mount.

If you line the entire are with dyno mat it will also insulate the sub a little better an elimiate a lot of the sheet metal resonance the older cars and new car decklids tend to get with certain bass frequencies

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
So what your saying is cover the 8" speakers up completely with the fiberglass side panels, no grill over them or anything? Wouldn't they sound muffled or would the tweeter take care of that?

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
SUBWOOFERS.

Not speakers.

Subwoofers are non-direction and you do not need to have line of sight because they create bass for you to feel more than hear, and deep bass notes pass right through.

I suggest doing a little library or internet research on sound dynamics and steroe designs. The reason most people runs subs in the trunk os because you feel the subs not listen. The midbass in the kick panel, the midrange in the dash, and the tweeters are what you listen too.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there no differene in sound whether the subs are covered by fiberglass or not? I can understand what you are saying (and I've seen subs in the trunk) but it just seems like some of the bass would be trapped and bouncing around in that enclosed area. Is there no difference?

Thanks-
Craig

1 - 12 of 12 Posts