Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls.

I am at the point where I plan to take off my 14" Wheel Covers & Spinners to upgrade to a set of new Styled Steel Wheels.

I am however very unsure what size combos I should consider since I have heard so many different stories.

I would like to go with 15" but is that to big? If not what is the correct tire size and wheel back spacing I should use.

In regards to 14" I have heard do 14x7 in the rear and 14x6 in the front. So it fills in the wheel well better. If a 14 fills better than I imagine a 15 would fill a lot better but I dont want it to rub at all!!

Dont mean to be redundant but I am not sure a wheel place would give honest real world answers. You all have not let me down yet and just some of you ....most likely.... have a 65 -66 Fastback with a larger set of wheels on it.

Thanks again!!

Matt

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
15x7 SSWs with 215-60s on my car. Work fine.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

The problem is if you increase the backspacing too much then you will get fender rub when mounting wheels and tires on the rear

<hr></blockquote>

Fender rub becomes an issue if you decrease backspacing. Again, check my wheel and tire chart for guidance on determining these things and if you want a quick method to find suitable size setups.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
215 60 15 are a nice, good fitting, tire choice. on 15x7 with 3.75 backspace...but please make sure you read Jay's Tires and wheel chart.

I run 215 50 15 but the car, when complete, will sit so much lower than stock that I did not what to chance tires and wheels that did not fit since I bought them first.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have 245/60/15's with 4 3/4 backspacing on styled steel wheels.It's a tight squeeze but it fits and looks great.It did require modest hammer work on the forward inner wheel housing lip.On the front,I think the seven inch wide is a bit too much,and 4 1/2 backspacing is about all you can get without hitting the ball joint.You can get 15 x 6's from stockton wheel but it takes 5-6 weeks to get them.All mustang suppliers will only have 15 x 7.If you go with 14's,I'd suggest 14 x 7 with 4 3/4 backspacing on the rear with 235/60 14.On the front,the 14 x 6 with a215/60/14.They can be custom ordered in this backspacing or whatever you prefer from specialty wheels.Let us know what you decide....

·
Registered
167 Posts
The sizes that aren't in bold on the wheel and tire chart required some sort of mod. Are we talking body work and just a little bending here and there.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
No ALL the setups fit without modifications, the non-bold listings are those found on numerous tire/wheel charts in magazines etc. The bold listings are alternative setups that VMFers have found to work without modifications.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have 205's on the '67 Falcon and the almightly curb-hopper '68 with AR rally chrome rims. Put wider on the rear though, better traction and looks. 205's look great on the front. They really do. I'll try to get some pics of them both up sometime.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I've got 245/60/15 BFG T/A's on the rear of the 66 Fastback without any body modifications. This is on 15X7 rims. However, I'm running Canadian Mustang's 5 leaf (standard eye) rear springs. Backspacing would be in the 4" range.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just put on 215 60 15's, all 4 corners. Wheels are 15x7 Magnum 500's w/ 4" backspacing from a '71. No fit problems at all, fenders, ball joints, leafsprings etc. Plenty of clearance even at full lock either direction.

If you interested I'll dig out the digital and shoot you some pics./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone who replied! I have a pretty good idea now as to what sizes fit and what sizes fit with a little hammering.

Hopefully soon my little 65 will transform a little closer to Superman from Clark Kent.

Matt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts