Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase an afr gauge to get the tuning right for my car.

I am.looking at his one but wondering if anyone has any experience with it. I do not want to permanently hook up or into electrical system. I called summit and they said i can just run a cable to 12
Volt like battery.

Will this work correctly for what I am trying to do?

Does anyone have any better suggestios?

I do want to get one so please dont just suggest do it the old school way.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,745 Posts

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
135 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
941 Posts
I was going to get that Gauge but then started reading the reviews on Amazon and 10% of folks get a dead O2 sensor and AEM says its not covered by warranty and want you to buy a new O2 sensor even though you just bought it. So decided against it. I was thinking of getting the Autometer 4379, doesnt have as fast of a refresh rate but just wanted it to tune my carb too, I haven't bought it yet but should be in the new few months.

I am going to try this one. SM-AFR Gen5 Wideband AFR with MultiGauge Link Combo for Smartphone Interface

It’s Bluetooth, so no gauge to mount.

Rusty
This seems really interesting.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have the AEM 30-0300. I've had it installed a couple of years. It works fine for me. I like it.

Make sure you don't have any exhaust leak so that your sensor reading will be correct. An exhaust leak can let O2 enter the system and will cause false readings.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I am going to purchase an afr gauge to get the tuning right for my car.

I am.looking at his one but wondering if anyone has any experience with it. I do not want to permanently hook up or into electrical system. I called summit and they said i can just run a cable to 12
Volt like battery.

Will this work correctly for what I am trying to do?

Does anyone have any better suggestios?

I do want to get one so please dont just suggest do it the old school way.

Thanks

That looks just like what I had for tuning....5 yr old so it looks a bit different but I bet it is just a newer version. I believe I wired in a plug for the lighter, since I was only going to have it hooked up for tuning. Indispensable for tuning a carb IMO. Used it for about 8 hrs and then sold it for close to what I paid.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi , I just installed the Innovate MTX-L Plus in my 65 Fastback. I decided on the digital numbers as they are larger enough to read at a glance as opposed to a needle gauge ( for me anyway).
I mounted it to the underside of the dash above the handbrake lever.

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked out the innovate MTXL and the reviews make me nervous. Keep reading about quality issues.

I am going to keep researching but finding one with a warranty on the sensor or something would be nice.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I called AEM and spoke to them directly, and they said they have a 1 year warranty on the entire thing including the sensor.

Contacted PLX and they had same thing except no sensor.

In thebend I decided to go with AEM for simplicity. Less technology and seemingly better warranty, but we will see.

Will let you know how this all goes.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts

Dont get an AEM....trust me when I say their gauge is an annoying lightshow. Get an Innovate LC1 controller and a digital gauge that will read it....take the gauge apart and install the gauge face behind the rearview mirror glass(you are essentially scraping off the mirror backing of a small area and gluing the gauge face to the glass). Wire up a switch, and the only time the gauge will be visible at all is when you flip the switch. As to whether you leave the controller installed all the time or not...up to you....personally I find its nice to be able to check the AFR anytime I want.

As an owner of both the AEM and an Innovate...trust me...the innovate is the better choice unless you love ricey things.

Reactions: RTM

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have the AEM 30-0300. I like it. I'm not sure what "Ricey" things are, but I was able to tune my carb easily using the AEM. I have chosen to keep the AEM installed because I find the information useful. To each his own.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree. Not sure what ricey means or referring to, but i have ordered the AEM for several reasons. Again I dont intend on leaving it in there unless I find a spot that really suits my eye, but more than likely no. It will be to tune car and then remove.

Most likely will use on my wifes 69 to tune hers right as well.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I agree. Not sure what ricey means or referring to, but i have ordered the AEM for several reasons. Again I dont intend on leaving it in there unless I find a spot that really suits my eye, but more than likely no. It will be to tune car and then remove.

Most likely will use on my wifes 69 to tune hers right as well.

Let me rephrase that....ricey means tacky. The AEM gauge is very tacky(at least the digital one) You have a dancing lightshow around the perimeter of the gauge in addition to the digitally displayed number(which is the data you actually need when tuning). There is absolutely no reason for the dancing lights except maybe if you want to make the argument that if it flashes into the red it catches your eye...but you could accomplish the same thing with a single LED. Personally, even with a wideband controller hooked up I don't have a gauge normally on...its a tuning and diagnostic tool and as such I have the output hooked up to my laptop so I can properly datalog it. An analog gauge would be fine....or any digital gauge without all the flashing LEDs, but the flashing LEDs are the gauge equivalent of Altezza taillights and park-bench spoilers....just tacky and distracting while driving, but to each his own. That being said....as far as reliability goes, the AEM gauge never failed....one of my LC1s did....but that was more because I fried it with a wiring mistake. The other 2 LC1s I have owned have never given any other problems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Let me rephrase that....ricey means tacky. The AEM gauge is very tacky(at least the digital one) You have a dancing lightshow around the perimeter of the gauge in addition to the digitally displayed number(which is the data you actually need when tuning). There is absolutely no reason for the dancing lights except maybe if you want to make the argument that if it flashes into the red it catches your eye...but you could accomplish the same thing with a single LED. Personally, even with a wideband controller hooked up I don't have a gauge normally on...its a tuning and diagnostic tool and as such I have the output hooked up to my laptop so I can properly datalog it. An analog gauge would be fine....or any digital gauge without all the flashing LEDs, but the flashing LEDs are the gauge equivalent of Altezza taillights and park-bench spoilers....just tacky and distracting while driving, but to each his own. That being said....as far as reliability goes, the AEM gauge never failed....one of my LC1s did....but that was more because I fried it with a wiring mistake. The other 2 LC1s I have owned have never given any other problems.
I'm with you on tacky when it is placed in a car where a lot of care was taken to keep things period correct. If you already have digital gauges or an updated interior, then AEM will probably fit right in. But in a classic mustang with bulb lit gauges, it just stands out. Personally, I plan on using the zeitronix with their "hacker" LCD panel in the ash tray or in a other spot where it won't be noticeable when not in use. The function of the zeitronix allows you to datalog everything from A/F , volts, temps, etc, so it can a valuable tool when tuning.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I haven't used the zeitronix yet myself, the other functions probably are very nice if you aren't running a standalone(IE, if you are still using a carb or some factory EFI system). To be fair....as far as tacky goes, I also think the huge 5" Autometer tachs are tacky and people seem to love those, in fact I am even on the fence when it comes to the factory rally-pacs, just feels like Ford was too lazy to make a new gauge cluster for a tach option.(The Shelby R models didn't have that problem, though Shelby executed the panel design less than ideally...good enough for a race car though I guess)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts