Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was helping a friend with his '65 today when he showed me some minor rust in one rear floor panel. When I had first heard about it, I imagined the worst for all four floor panels. We pulled the carpet out and the other three panels are virtually perfect, not even any surface rust. The rear passenger panel has two small holes, one smaller than a dime, the other about half that size, that are about 3" apart. The odd thing is that, other than the holes, the panel is in good shape with some minor surface rust on the top. I figured there was further damage in it and pushed and probed with a screwdriver, scraped with a scraper, and the rest of the panel is solid. We ended up grinding all the paint, top and bottom about 3" around the 2 holes and the panel is solid. The question is, should we replace the entire panel, buy a panel to make a 5" patch to cover both places, or patch the two holes individually? I could take a 1" hole saw and easily cut out the two bad places, then make two patch plugs with the same saw to weld in place. I'm still surprized that the damage appeared completely limited to those small places. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Something that small I'd probably fiberglass (and prime, paint, and undercoat well)

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Yep - I agree...I'd probably just 'glass those over (several layers). If you've ground all the way down to bare metal, then 'glass, prime, and paint. If there's still a trace of rust, I'd use some Corroless. Corroless NEEDS rust there to do its job. It's basically useless on perfect metal.

Based on your description, I wouldn't think a metal patch would be necessary. Now the trick is to find the cause of that rust. Check those cowl vents and the widshield seal. The water got in somehow...

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts
I did a repair like that about 20 years ago by using a wire wheel and sand paper and naval jelly to remove as much rust as possible. Used a rust converter and treated the whole area. Fiberglassed, painted and then undercoated. It has held up well.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I think everyone has excellent ideas here. Since you are that far along with the investigation, I would do as you suggest and use a metal patch plug. Then you know the cancerous rust is gone forever. Sounds like you guys lucked out and were able to avoid a full pan replacement. I had to change my full drivers side and the pass. long front. That was lots of work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts