Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is currently fitted with Hella H4 headlights, and while they’re nice and bright, their flat lenses don’t look so period-correct for these cars.

I saw the Scott Drake, halogen ‘FoMoCo’ sealed beams on CJ’s website, and thought they looked worth a try. I tried to order them, but they were backordered (surprise, surprise), and then I found some terrible reviews in their quality, so I cancelled the order.

So, now I’m back to square-one. I’d like to find some headlights that look more appropriate for a Mustang (convex), and give some decent output.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I'm running a pair of GE H6024 halogen lights on my 65 and see with them pretty well. I did upgrade the headlight wiring with relays and thicker wires.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm running a pair of GE H6024 halogen lights on my 65 and see with them pretty well. I did upgrade the headlight wiring with relays and thicker wires.

Do you advise just running all new wiring from the relay with new connectors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Do you advise just running all new wiring from the relay with new connectors?
I had a replacement wiring harness already installed that was just a few years old. I just added some relays right above the wiper reservoir and then new wiring and spade terminals to the headlights. I removed the older wiring from the headlight connectors and reused the connectors after inserting the thicker new wires and spade terminals. The relays are hidden under the wiper reservoir bag.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My car is currently fitted with Hella H4 headlights, and while they’re nice and bright, their flat lenses don’t look so period-correct for these cars.

I saw the Scott Drake, halogen ‘FoMoCo’ sealed beams on CJ’s website, and thought they looked worth a try. I tried to order them, but they were backordered (surprise, surprise), and then I found some terrible reviews in their quality, so I cancelled the order.

So, now I’m back to square-one. I’d like to find some headlights that look more appropriate for a Mustang (convex), and give some decent output.

Suggestions?
Funny, I was going to mention the H4 Hella's when I clicked on the link - until I read your post!

I am very happy with all four of them in my '69 as well as in another car that has 7" headlights. And while I like the look of the smaller ones on the Mustang, the 7" do look, um, different with the flat face. They work so well, I don't mind.

As mentioned, the relays really do make a big difference - have you tried them with regular sealed beam halogens?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And while I like the look of the smaller ones on the Mustang, the 7" do look, um, different with the flat face. They work so well, I don't mind.
I don’t hate the way flat-faced Hellas look...I’ve run them on 1960’s cars for years, and I’m not willing to give up much lighting power for something that looks better.

I have some friends who have a vintage headlight fetish, and they collect all these beautiful, NOS 60’s headlights that look like pieces of jewelry. I guess some of that had rubbed off on me, so I like the idea of getting something that looks more “period” without spending a fortune on something vintage....and then having a rock go through it on the freeway.

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts