Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...my first post so bare with me!

I have a restored, stock '66 Mustang Coupe with an I6. After debating a V8 swap for a while I've decided to upgrade my existing I6. My goals are improved performance and better sound. My current engine is running great, and I don't want to take any steps backwards on ride quality or reliability.

Here are my current plans with questions:

1. Dual outlet header from Clifford

2. New manifold and 1 bbl carburetor or 2 bbl carburetor and stock intake? What carburetor brands do you suggest in either case (Weber, Holley, etc.)?

3. Worth messing with the cam?

4. Pertronix Ignitor and Flamethrower coil (Duraspark or MSD better? Do I need new distributor for these? Hard to find/install? etc.)

5. Dual exhaust (recommended brands for good performance and sound?)

6. Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi there,

The foremost thing to understand is that these motors have very poor breathing. Getting it to breath will bring you the HP. Check out www.fordsix.com I think you'll find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I would definitely go with headers and into a single exhaust
I-6 engines have a flat resonant spot at around 1500-2000 rpms
and can be quite irritable after driving it awhile.

Keep it as quiet as possible......2.25 inch exhaust max.

As far as the intake goes...go with an offenhauser intake for the small 4bbl.....holley 390 cfm.

The ignition set up sounds good and your filter should be a K and N type.

also look at your fuel pump.....will it feed your upgrades?

a MILD cam is in order too.....Dont go too hot or your driveability will suffer.....

And make sure your oil pump will also feed the extra performance.

regards.
R

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
uh, I thought the mustang 6's all had the intake cast as part of the head...

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Not all of them, sharkmouth, only the 200. And you can also modify the stock "turd" intake wich will allow for the placement of three 1 barrel carburetors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts