Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have any suggestions on what cylinder head i should use for a 351C that i want to stroke out to 426ci? what i have been reading says that the 4v is good but so is the aussie 2v, but im not sure which one would be best to use?

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
With the extra cubes from the stroker you will want the 4v heads.

If you are getting custom piston either the open or closed will work fine, if you are getting off the shelf...get the 4v closed so you can have the benefits of the quench chamber design.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I'm using 2V's on my 393; every 4V headed motor, strokers included, didn't hit peak power til at least 7000 RPM. Thats too high for a motor seeing any street use, IMO. Depending on what RPM you want to run, 2V's would make more power under the curve in the sub-6500 range (thats where I'll be shifting), with the peak at 6000-ish. Unless you're wanting to shift the motor at 7500, the 2Vs will have more under-curve area.

If you're using off the shelf pistons, you HAVE to use open chamber heads; the compression will be sky-high if you don't (but I don't know of any 426CID off the shelfers anyhow, only 408 and 393). If you're running custom pistons, have a D-shaped dish cut into them and use closed chamber heads.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
hehe...I can't argue too much...I hadn't peak yet when I shut mine down at 7k.....

But.......

TALL GEAR.....PLENTY OF POWER BAND LEFT.....people think you are out of pep at 5800 and then...bam you have another 1500 left :)

http://users.zoominternet.net/~dodgeram/newdynosheet.jpg

Piston design for use with my open chamber heads that gives me 10.5:1

http://www.dodgestang.com/images/65MUS142.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
IMHO, w/the 426 cubes, I would want the extra breathing ability of the 4v's...
Even if your peak hp is higher in the band, at least you'll have more of it up there.... the sacrifice of low end, in my opinion, is over exaggerated.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I don't have it in me to spin my motor to 7k; spinning turbo 4 bangers up that high gave me the willies, LOL. Although I do still toss around the idea of 4Vs due to the extra intakes and such available.

My SRP's look pretty similar, only no lower dish and they have an exhaust valve relief. With open chambers they get me 10.4:1, IIRC.

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Honestly neither do at...at least not routinely....if you look at my chart though...the HP is just about flat from 6500-7000 so either the carb was holding it back, the intake peaked or something else....the torque was dropping fast so when I am 'on' it on the street I shift it at 6300-6500 anyway. The only time its hit 7k so far was on the dyno.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts