Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for ideas for radio/cd for my 68. I have the console, and I don't want to destroy the console pad to install a cd player. FYI, even though I'm into custom audio and build tube amps and custom speaker enclosures I'm not looking for an audiophile quality soundstage, or aorta-rending bass.

I've decided to do kick panel pods, and probably a pair of speakers in the original dash hole (although upright speakers can catch insects and crud that buzz). I don't want to cut the trap door, or any interior panels or doors. Someone mentioned tweeters in the defroster vents once... sounds interesting. No sub either, but maybe I'll build a couple of boxes to sit inside on the fold-down seat when I really want to rock out with my.. well, you know.

Are there CD jukeboxes that might fit in the glovebox? I could do a remote in the trunk as well, but if I can keep the electronics up front I'll be happier.

How about satellite radio or other media besides CD?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Just avoid Custom Autosound like the plague. Get a good head unit with an input jack for MP3, and a four-way amp.

Can't you fit a CD head unit in a '68, without cutting? If so, use that. Trunk-mounted CD players are inconvenient.

Don't even consider running the speakers off the head unit. Use Boston Acoustics or better speakers (no Pioneers, Kenwoods, or Sonys).

I put some 6 x 9's in these little enclosures that fit perfectly between the back seat and the trap door of my kids' '65. They just sit there, and I cut a piece of wood and painted it black to fit between them and keep them from sliding around.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You can put a cd player in without destroying dash. I would also put a set of speakers up in the dash and then two in the kickpannels with two 6/9 's in the rear and you can buy a sub (kindof) that fits in your spare tire with a built in amp from Year One. That's a perfect set up without destroying the car.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
i think he means destroying a stock 68 console radio pad which has the two holes for the old style radio.

·
Registered
446 Posts
He can buy one that holds a cd player from any mustang mag. NPD, Year one, California Mustang etc.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
He has a CONSOLE. The radio facing is different than the non-console cars... NPD's din face radio bezel is for non-console cars.

In response to the original post, for "other" options (besides CD), once you figure out where to mount your head unit you might want to look at one of these.

- Gord

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indeed, the console pad and hole arrangement minimizes my available width.

It seems that severely limits my options. Keep the ideas coming and thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts