Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sLime (and me) are in position to get a lot of things done over the next few months. sLime goes to the shop on July 8th for some cosmetic bodywork and a new paint job. She'll be back by the end of July (cross my fingers!). I've also got a bunch of other projects to tackle in association with this. Let me run them by y'all in the order I see them, and let me know your advice, 'while-you're-at-its' , ways to cut time, "gotchas", etc.

My wallet should be lighter, my hair greyer, and my beer gut bigger by time I'm done with this.

* Strip car of all emblems, etc., in preparation for paint job.
* Take car to shop for bodywork / paint (goin' with the original Lime Gold color)
* Rebuild / detail new dash bezel while car's at the shop along with cleaning & detailing any other parts I pull off.
* When car comes back, finish detailing dash area and install new dash bezel.
* Have vinyl top replaced.
* Install "interior side" of Vintage Auto Air in-dash system.
* Clean out engine compartment and detail/ paint it.
* Finish AC install on engine side of the firewall.
* Interior refurbish.

Thanks in Advance!

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Hey Bill, sounds like you've got your work cut out for you as well! If your leaving your engine in for the detailing, Johnpro had a good idea about using tin foil to help paint around areas in the compartment. I've decided to pull the engine & tranny on the 66 coupe that I'm doing now, clean, paint, detail, new gaskets in mounts and reinstall. Did it once with a 69 Camaro in less than 8 hours! Of course I was a tad bit younger, had a couple of buddies helping me, and wanted the car ready for the cruise that night. Now I'm just hoping to get mine done before the weekend is over. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
While the car is at the shop, it is also a good time to get the garage back in order. Maybe like paint the floors, that makes for eazy cleanup.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Is your headliner OK?
If it needs to be replaced, the windshield or back glass may need to come out, depending on who you talk to. I'd have this done before the car goes to body shop due to potential for dmg to paint removing/installing glass. Again, there is some discussion/disagreement on whether glass needs to be removed for a good headliner job.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Bill,

Forgot to add, another while-I'm-at-it:

Do you have any interest in the future about installing a GT rear valance for dual-exhaust cutouts? If so, buy one now, relatively cheap at $50 +/- and have the shop paint it now (at likely no additional cost) even thought it's off the car. That way, if you do install it in the future, you'll save yourself a trip back to the shop (and $) and the paint will match.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good stuff, folks! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I do have a GT valance that I'm taking to the shop for painting, the headliner's new, but needs some 'tucking in' around the windshield (poor PO work), and I'm definitely pulling the windshield and backlight for new rubber seals and bedding.

As far as painting the motor, I've used whole rolls of aluminum foil for that before (!), but thanks for the reminder!

And, wow, that would be a good time to clean the garage, wouldn't it? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Do exterior a/c work before interior... You have to cut those holes in firewall and you'll want access to both sides of the firewall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts