Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting rid of the rubber fuel line on top of the engine. As per recommendations here ordering a 65 fuel pump with built in filter. Question is the 65 fuel line plugged into the carb. Will this work with the Summit? I know there was a post in here a while back but I can't seem to find it. I don't think the flare nuts are the same. I can cut and re-flare if need be.

I'm running a Summit M2008 500 CFM carb

Thanks

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I'm thinking of getting rid of the rubber fuel line on top of the engine. As per recommendations here ordering a 65 fuel pump with built in filter. Question is the 65 fuel line plugged into the carb. Will this work with the Summit? I know there was a post in here a while back but I can't seem to find it. I don't think the flare nuts are the same. I can cut and re-flare if need be.

Thanks
You can fabricate a line using fittings that mate with whatever you are trying to install. That’s for anything in the car not just the connection to the carb. Summit should have fittings. I use Pegasus. Figure out what mates at each end and mod your current line or fab (or buy) a line to connect the two.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I gave up on the hard line. With AC and PS I couldnt get the hard fuel line to clear those items and end up in a place that didnt interfere with the distributor. The AC dogleg bracket, vacuum advance and fuel line all wanted to be in the same place. So Im running a soft line from the pump to carb inlet. Its a longer line than I needed, but I routed it up and away from the engine, hoping that it didnt boil the fuel on hot days. So far so good.

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts

Thanks
I have the same carb and it's also on my to do list as well.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
I'm running that exact carb and I have Vintage Air A/C. I couldn't get enough height for my spacer with my offset air cleaner because of my GM HEI... it was all fine when it was a 2V... so I had to make my own line system out of the carb itself, the one it came with was hitting the intake.

Anyway, I don't like rubber over the engine as well, so I made my own hard lines. I really can't remember any of the sizes of anything, but it's totally possible.

It's hard to see, but there's good clearance around everything. It's been on the car at least 3 years now.

Attachments

·
Registered
34,956 Posts
I gave up on the hard line. With AC and PS I couldnt get the hard fuel line to clear those items and end up in a place that didnt interfere with the distributor. The AC dogleg bracket, vacuum advance and fuel line all wanted to be in the same place. So Im running a soft line from the pump to carb inlet. Its a longer line than I needed, but I routed it up and away from the engine, hoping that it didnt boil the fuel on hot days. So far so good.
Strange. The OEM hard lines were all made to clear the AC/PS and associated brackets. The repros I have used did as well. I have even made hard lines for Edelbrock carbs, and for my 3-2V intake. Copy OEM as far up as the distributor, then do my own thing after that. And I do have AC.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm running that exact carb and I have Vintage Air A/C. I couldn't get enough height for my spacer with my offset air cleaner because of my GM HEI... it was all fine when it was a 2V... so I had to make my own line system out of the carb itself, the one it came with was hitting the intake.

Anyway, I don't like rubber over the engine as well, so I made my own hard lines. I really can't remember any of the sizes of anything, but it's totally possible.

It's hard to see, but there's good clearance around everything. It's been on the car at least 3 years now.
In your first picture thats exactly what I ned to do, is that a 1/2 flare into a 5/8 reducing bushing? Is the flare of the fuel line up against the carb inlet? I know my carb takes a 5/8 flare.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
As an alternative to running hard line you can use braided hose. I like the idea of just bending hard line around the brackets. It’ll be more cost effective than using braided lines and easier to fab if you’re doing it yourself.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
In your first picture thats exactly what I ned to do, is that a 1/2 flare into a 5/8 reducing bushing? Is the flare of the fuel line up against the carb inlet? I know my carb takes a 5/8 flare.
I really wish I could remember (3+ years ago)… but that does sounds kinda right. What I do remember is the summit carb's fittings were slightly larger than the stock mustang fuel pump fitting size. Whatever the summit carb size was, I bought a block for it, then like you said, stepped down to the fuel pump fitting size. I brought my carb's fittings, the block, and a fuel line fitting that fit my fuel pump, and the local Advance let me look through their adapter pile in the back. I used my eastwood flare tool and line bending tools to make it look like I knew what I was doing. Those short lines off the summit carb were tricky! I did screw up a couple times. That line isn't as cheap as it used to be!

·
Registered
199 Posts
@ophthos I have the same carb and am running the fuel pump with the integrated filter [which is the only way to fly].

I bent a transmission hard line [Shelby-esque] to run from the fuel pump, atop the water pump, up to the carburetor. Connected it to the Summit provided [barbed] hard line via fuel hose and small clamps.

I am happy with this approach.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ophthos I have the same carb and am running the fuel pump with the integrated filter [which is the only way to fly].

I bent a transmission hard line [Shelby-esque] to run from the fuel pump, atop the water pump, up to the carburetor. Connected it to the Summit provided [barbed] hard line via fuel hose and small clamps.

I am happy with this approach.
That's what i'm dong now. Just trying to see if i can get rid of the rubber fuel line on top of the engine.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
The more I bent the hardline, the worse I made it.

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
I bent up a hardline from bulk steel line and just have a small section of rubber to the carb line. My feed line has a built in filter.

·
Registered
35,122 Posts
Probably the easiest "fix" is to use a "stock" '65 hard line with the '65 fuel pump. The upper end of said line is flared. The carburetor inlet line for the Summit carb has a 3/8NPT fitting. All you need to do is get an adapter to connect the two together.

If you want to keep the '66 and later style fuel pump then all you need to do is get a 3/8NPT to 1/8NPT reducer, stick a WIX 33081 fuel filter on the end, shorten and re-flare the '65 hard line and hook it up as the 5/16" fuel line has the correct 1/2-20 threads to fit the filter.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Probably the easiest "fix" is to use a "stock" '65 hard line with the '65 fuel pump. The upper end of said line is flared. The carburetor inlet line for the Summit carb has a 3/8NPT fitting. All you need to do is get an adapter to connect the two together.

If you want to keep the '66 and later style fuel pump then all you need to do is get a 3/8NPT to 1/8NPT reducer, stick a WIX 33081 fuel filter on the end, shorten and re-flare the '65 hard line and hook it up as the 5/16" fuel line has the correct 1/2-20 threads to fit the filter.
Thanks Bart. I was hoping it was easy as that. I ordered the 65 fuel line and pump from NPD today. When I get it, I'll bring everything with me to the hardware store and get the adapter.

Peter

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
having an issue finding the correct adapter. Went to my local independently owned plumbing store and he couldn't find anything from his suppliers to fit the fuel rail and the 65 fuel line.

For those more knowledable is this what I need?: adapter

·
Registered
35,122 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Question for all you machinists out there. 3/8 NPT to 5/16 adapter doesn't fit the fuel rail on the Summit carb. I got the one mentioned above and the fuel line from the pump is a 5/16 and fits but the male 3/8 fitting is too big for the fuel rail. See pics below.

Called Summit today and they were stumped. They said the fitting I got may be mislabeled. The adapter I got from Summit is tapered and the mid point reads about .67". They also said I may need a 1/4 NPT to attach to my fuel rail. Wouldn't this be too small? If I measure the supplied fitting from Summit that came with my carb it looks like it's .61" at its midpoint. Summit is sending me a 1/4 NPT to 5/16 inverse flared adapter at no cost. Just not sure it will fit.

I looked at some tables about NPT and I get that what the size says will need a bit larger to thread into. Wouldn't I need a 1/2 NPT to 5/16 adapter?

Is my adapter mislabeled? What do I need? Are we sure it NPT?

I'm confused!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts