Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new Summit carb out of the box today, flipped it over to see if the butterflys would hit the spacer I have and fuel pored out of the carb.

Did Summit stick me with a used / returned carb?

If so, its going back, who knows how long that fuel has been sitting in there.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
and it was gasoline that ran out?
Yes I would send that back I suppose....

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think it is against postal rules to ship anything with fuel in it (of course, depends on your courier). You might want to add that comment to your complaint for a new one: you expect it to be pristine!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live pretty close to the Summit store in Georgia, I usually pick my orders up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That's very surprising. I've been ordering parts (including carbs) from Summit for over 20 years and never had an issue.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,036 Posts
I think it is against postal rules to ship anything with fuel in it (of course, depends on your courier).
It is against everybody's rules to ship something with gasoline in it. It's a DOT rule, not the individual shipping company's rule.

·
Registered
793 Posts
In the description on the Summit carbs states 100% wet flow tested. So I think there would remnants of fuel left. I also had to return a Summit carb after I installed it and they said just drain it, there still had to be traces of fuel

I bought a FiTech EFI and it had smell of fuel in it, they also wet test each unit

Features include:

* 100 percent wet flow tested and ready to run out of the box
* All aluminum construction for warp resistance and excellent calibration retention
* One-piece design that eliminates gaskets below the fuel line for leak-free operation
* Dual 30cc accelerator pumps (mechanical secondary models only), and annular boosters
* Interchangeable discharge nozzles and idle circuit restriction
* Exclusive color-coded vacuum ports for easier installation
* Thick base plate sealing surfaces
* High-flowing power valve channel with a valve guaranteed for a million miles
* Externally adjustable center-hung floats, clear-sight glass float windows
* Easy-adjust choke (electric choke models only)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yes, if you read the specs they wet flowed the carb. Mine started up just great, love it so far. PS. someone didn't drain it properly.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Took took two tries for my friend to get a good Summit Carb from Summit. First one the top plate was warped and wouldn't seal, second one leaked from the accelerator pump. Third one was fine. Weird that they claim to be wet flow tested but they didn't catch two leaking carbs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts