Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I need to get a pair of mufflers for my 66. I'm taking off the single system and I'm going to install the 2" dual exhaust system that I have. The 2" will be fine for my application, it's not a high RPM application and besides, a 2" system will have 1/4 of the backpressure of the single 2" system

Anyway, I've bought the Summit $14.95 mufflers for my old truck. The quality was impressive! However, they don't come in a 2" size. But their welded mufflers are $38.00 a piece and look promissing. Anyone using them? Any CHEAP recomendations? Flowmasters are out of the budget.

·
Registered
771 Posts
flowmasters are worth the money imho but since money is a factor, go with the 38$ one if u have had sucess in the pass with summit and as kent says "Its your car dammit do what you want!"

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
My friend has the summit mufflers you are talking about on his maverick and they sound great for the price. I even bought a set for my 65. I have not installed them yet due to the fact the car is still not road ready.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Turbo mufflers are good.....and they won't cost you much either....your local shop should stock them or be able to get them a day later....but the flowmasters sound soooo good!!!!

regards

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I've been impressed with the quality of Summit's branded parts. A pal who restores mustangs for profit often buys their stuff. For instance, he liked my cam specs, but bought a very similar a Summit grind to put in one of his cars - for a lot less $$.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I purchased their 3" cat-back system for the SWMBO's F-150 4x4.
I also bought their Cat. Excellent price on both! Excellent quality on both.

All told the system fits fine, which is hard to do with 3 inchers. The exhaust note is really low and rumbly, without getting in your ears and droning. If you want to impress your friend, you just have them stand at the rear and fire it up. It has an impressive 'burble'. Yet full tilt is not obnoxious.
Why did I buy? It was cheap (~199)! And a couple of years later it looks just like new. A best buy.
Then again the 2 chamber flowmasters on the 96 stang are just plain loud. Came on the car. Pretty impressive but too loud. I like the sound well enough that I may just yard em off, put em on the Boss with X pipes and put three chambers on the 96.

Since I didn't buy them, anyone know how to tell a two from a three chamber externally? Length?

BossBill

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like Flowmasters too. But believe it or not, my dual exhaust system was a take-off from a trailer queen that I bought for $75.00 complete with all clamps and hanger, all in very nice shape. But I can see spending money on a somewhat flow restricted 2" system. MAC makes a really nice mandrel bent, 2 1/2" system for 65-66's. That's what I wanrt to get down the road.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Hi, its a shame that the convertible got screwed up or you could have heard mine with the duals. I got NAPA brand stock mufflers the one for the single system and when they are put into a daul system they rumble pretty good but have "0" ZERO drone!!! When you stand on it though they have a nice rap. I also put on quad tips. John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts