Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did Ford determine what cars came with the Sun X windows? Are cars originally equipped with the Sun X windows "rare" by any means? Also, was this option noted on any of the tags on the car?
*speaking of 64-66 cars

Thanks.

G

·
Tinted glass or tinted windshield were options on the order sheet.

Wouldn't be on any tag other than a window sticker or original order sheet.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Dealers used to sell "add-on air conditioning. A factory parts kit. It really helps to have tinted glass with A/C. But, even if not, in some climes, it is almost a necessity. So, the dealers ordered the cars for stock with the Sun-x glass.

Go figure this though: my Shelby has tinted glass. It is not on the Marti or the Ford 999 reports. I bought the car in 1971 and I haven't put in in, so I really don't know how it got there. I'm glad it is.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yelostang said:
In Fl. most AC equipped Mustangs came with tinted glass, but it was a separate option. Ordering AC, it was an easy sell to add the tinted glass. Interesting, had an AC equipped 66 and it had "NO TINT" on the buck tag.
I've seen this before but I wasn't sure sure if someone was being "clever" with their buck tag. This is the reason why I asked.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Tinted glass or tinted windshield. Was it possible to order just tinted windshied?
As a side note apparantly on a vert with tinted glass and the glass backlite the
backlite was not tinted...right?

G

·
On the 65-66 cars, you could order a tinted windshield as a standalone option. Probably could also in 67-8, but not completely sure. A dealer order sheet would be the easiest way to verify this.

Never heard of tinted rear folding glass for a convertible, but haven't paid that much attention to those.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Is it easy to identify a Sun X window vs. regular window? Any markings/etchings?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can tell by looking at the glass- Put a piece of paper behind the glass and look. It's quite "green", whereas the "regular" glass is clear.

I can't remember if SunX is listed on the glass?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Riverside66 said:
I can't remember if SunX is listed on the glass?

Yes its marked under the CARLITE script

1 - 10 of 10 Posts