Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1964 Mustang convertible
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’m back on the forum after a VERY long hiatus raising a family and such.

So I’ve got a C4OE-6015-C 289 block that I’ve had for about 25 years. Amazingly, in that time, I never looked up it’s casting codes. Well, obviously I did now, and I think they are incredibly cool! I’m a Mustang history geek though, so I wanted to see what you all think.

The above code is cool because it’s an early 5-bolt that could be used as a Hi-Po restoration (don’t know it’s history, but it’s right for a K code). BUT! The really cool part to me is that the casting code is 4D17!!! That’s right, April 17, 1964, the very day that Henry Ford II stood on stage at the New York World’s Fair and unveiled the new Ford Mustang! So as Henry was talking, this very block was cooling in the foundry! So I named her Day Zero.

Is that cool or what?! Am I just a nerd? Well, yes, but anyway, tell me what you think of this block’s history please.

I have it at the machine shop getting cleaned up, and I’m trying to make up my mind if I should put it in my 6 cylinder ‘65 conv. or not. I was going to drop in a Ford Performance X2347 crate motor, but now I’m torn because I think this is so cool.

· Premium Member
9,996 Posts
...but not insurmountable. I have a 5 bolt 289. I did a 5 speed conversion. (prev. C4) I sourced a 5 bolt manual bell from a bone yard and added an adapter plate and never looked back.

· Premium Member
10,812 Posts
If you're going to build a performance engine, selling that block to someone doing a time capsule restoration would pay enough for that block to buy your stroker.

· Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
1,853 Posts
That is COOL...My cars seats were made on the same day as Shelbys FIRST win Greenvalley Raceway Smithville Texas February 14 1965...thus came the name of the ICONIC SHELBY .... The Flying Shelby driven by Ken Miles👍🙂

· Registered
1964 Mustang convertible
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're going to build a performance engine, selling that block to someone doing a time capsule restoration would pay enough for that block to buy your stroker.
Really?! That would be great. I have no idea what it’s worth, I see numbers all over the place, and no legit completed sales. What do you, and others think once it‘s been prepped?

· Premium Member
10,812 Posts
A prepped original bore block that is clean and sonic checked with receipts from the machine shop should be worth a couple grand to the right builder. I mean, that's almost as good as NOS. I've never seen an NOS 289 block. I say let em bid.

Reactions: DayZero-289

· Registered
8,120 Posts
My car was built in Nov. 1964, too late?
My understanding is the engines were used 4-6 weeks after they were built. I am sure you could pop over to the Concours Mustang Forum and get exact details of when that engine would have been put into a car.

· Registered
1,332 Posts
I have an August 1, 1964 block that is 6 bolt and supposed to be original to the car (build date is 4H1) cast on June 30, 1964 - build date of the car is Oct 19th 1964.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.