Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does a f250 or f350 SuperDuty come in a 2x4 diesel configuration?

Or, does Ford force you to buy a 4x4 if you want diesel power?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have only seen cab and chassis in a 2x4 diesel.

Im doing a dealer search within 100 miles of my zip.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Shouldn't be hard to find a 4X2 SD with a Powerstroke in the Southern states, might want to expand your search area look in on some of those "mega" truck dealers down that way.

FWIW, you're going to take a huge hit in resale/trade in for a two wheel drive model. For the extra $2800 Ford wants for the 4X4 option, it's better to just get it unless you plan on keeping the truck forever. If you do go 4X2, make darn sure it has a locking rear axle.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found some in the truck capitol of the world: Dallas

Doing some research.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The website sucks. Not user friendly at all.

A f250/F350 is not a big seller in a 4x2, Im guessing that based on very limited dealer inventory.

A F250 or above should plainly list the GVWR and the GCVWR on either the website or window sticker. It doesnt.

I will most likely buy used anyway.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
4x4 ... I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Saved more *****es than my own many times. A good wench doesn't hurt either. All the weight on those trucks is in the front end and if you get on wet grass or somebody pees behind the tire and you don't have Drive Wheels under that weight oh, there you are.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
A f250/F350 is not a big seller in a 4x2, Im guessing that based on very limited dealer inventory.
There are scores of 2wd diesel Super Duty trucks around here but a ton more 4x4. The dealer down the street has 5 diesels and 5 gas 2019 2wd on the lot right now, no 4x4. The guys a bit more north of me have 19 2019 diesels all 4x4. The good deals all seem to be on the 4x4s anyway at least right now. If you look at the specs on the Ford site (which I agree isn't very good for info but more to pimp the bling on the trucks) it's a 14k GVWR with a max TAG tow of 21k. They used to have a much handier chart/matrix that compared all the F series truck capacity. It appears nowhere to be found...

·
Registered
196 Posts
I use 2 wheel drive 2500hd gmc for a service truck. I order them new as dealers in Maine only stock 4 wheel drive. I drive the whole state and 2 wheel drive works for me. Good tires and weight gets me to where I need to go. 30 to 40 thousand miles a year. If I was off road it would be a different story. I drive them until they are spent so resale isnt a big deal to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
A good wench makes life so much easier.
Well, that was supposed to say "winch" haha ...
It still applies.
I have a Warn M-15000 on a homemade 1/2 inch steel channel plate welded to a male/female hitch so I can use it on the front receiver hitch or the rear, and a trailer hitch can still go in the front of it. With the front receiver I can quickly guide a trailer into tight spots and with the winch I can load or unload a trailer with ease. With a heavy duty snatchblock and pulley I can double or even triple the pulling power to 30k and 45k lbs with the cable rated for 60k continuous. I'll not likely ever need that much...

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Not on topic, but I was at a car show a couple weeks ago and after I parked my Cobra replica, a huge F650 pulled into the spot next to me.
Made my car look like a hot wheels micro.

From what I could find online, I think Ford only sells the chassis cab and you have it sent to a commercial dealer for them to outfit the back end. I saw one of these online for $87k.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Shouldn't be hard to find a 4X2 SD with a Powerstroke in the Southern states, might want to expand your search area look in on some of those "mega" truck dealers down that way.

FWIW, you're going to take a huge hit in resale/trade in for a two wheel drive model. For the extra $2800 Ford wants for the 4X4 option, it's better to just get it unless you plan on keeping the truck forever. If you do go 4X2, make darn sure it has a locking rear axle.

It's not the 70s/80s anymore. If you're trying to find a vintage K10 or 4x4 F100, it takes some looking down here. They're more prevalent in the northeast (if they survived) and A LOT were purchased out west.

No so with 90's+ stuff. You'd have an easier time throwing a rock and hitting a Z71 or a 4wd F150 than finding a 2wd. With fuel mileage being close and 4wd being packaged with other cool options, it "just makes sense" to buy a 4x4, even in the south. We like to go mud whompin' :)

The resale is one of the reasons I bought a Z71 again (that and we do get snow at least once a year now and it's so much easier to pull a boat out of the water on a wet concrete ramp with 4wd)

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
My point was that in the context of the 48 states, you're much more likely to find a 4X2 in the southern half than anywhere else.

If you find a newer 2WD non-WT or service body truck around here,it's an incredible oddity. Those types are generally relegated to larger contractors or fleets and are run until either the wheels or body falls off, whichever occurs first. The small contractors around here all have blinged & lifted crew cab 4X4 HighCountry/Denali/King Ranches purchased as a tax write-off - cuz IRS.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
My dad bought a 4x4 Scout in 1962, traded for another in 66, my grandfather bought a Scout II in 1973, the 66 was hit by a Mustang in 1977 and Dad replaced it with a Chevy C-10, we bought a new GMC S-15 Jimmy in 1983, another 1975 Scout II for my brother in 1984, and Dad got a Z-71 in 2005. I have had a 1992, 1997 and 2002 F-250s and EVERY ONE HAS BEEN 4x4 because if you want to do real work in places that are hard to get to, or hard to get out of, or a rear u-joint breaks, then that is how you get DONE.

We still have the 77 Chevy, the 73 and the 75 Scouts, the 2005 Chevy and of course I have "White Noise" the F-250.

4x4 Low is also an EXCELLENT way to start a very heavy trailer load while reducing the strain on your engine, then shift to 4 high or 2 wheel.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Not on topic, but I was at a car show a couple weeks ago and after I parked my Cobra replica, a huge F650 pulled into the spot next to me.
Made my car look like a hot wheels micro.
Kinda feel sorry for his wife.:wink:

I'd say get the 4x4, it's expected these days.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We are trying to figure out how we want to go RV-ing.

Class A, C, bumper pull, 5th wheel.

We like to keep things simple, dont want or need a bunch of ammenities. Having said that, I sure like the interior on a King Ranch.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
We are trying to figure out how we want to go RV-ing.

Class A, C, bumper pull, 5th wheel.

We like to keep things simple, dont want or need a bunch of ammenities. Having said that, I sure like the interior on a King Ranch.
"We are trying to keep things simple" VS "I sure like the interior on a King Ranch". :grin2: +25G

Thats why I'll be going to the Ford "work truck dealership" in Indianapolis when my current F150XL dies. The new assuming a F250 will be white like the last one, with AC, like the last one, and little else. I want a knob or 2 for heat and AC, and completely different knobs for the radio. I get confused every time I drive the wife's Flex.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like a lot of things, but that doesnt mean I want to own them.

My last f150 was a white XL with the Plus package. That gives me cruise, power windows and locks and sync. Vinyl seats and floors are fine with us, in fact we prefer them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts