Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would you choose, Supercharger or TurboCharger?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Supercharger. But they both have thier pros and cons. Superchargers are easier to install but robs power (the only reason I would choose the super over the turbo is for simplicity).
A turbo obviously uses the exhaust to supply the boost but requires a spool up, and can be comlicated to install in a vehicle, mustang or most V-8/6. It is possible. I have investigted it and it has been done with junkyard turbos and a high speed exhaust job for substantial results (for around 2K). Just my opinion. ::

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
weekend car - supercharger
daily driver or all out drag car - turbocharger (yes those are definately two different extremes but there are reasons for both)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Supercharger... the power is always there and it just sounds good ;) specially when you get into the big guns like intercooling and running a 331 oh yeah!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Considering the excessive heat I live in, I'd go with the supercharger.
I've seen waaayyyy too many tubros melt down in the AZ summer, LOL

Not to mention the exhaust setup is a bit more complex on a turbo and takes a little while to spool up. Superchargers are a bit more harsh on the crank, but the instant torque and lower heat temps makes up for it IMHO. I almost went with the Holley 174 blower instead of my 347 stroker... such a tough choice!

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I like em both, but TURBO!

There are a lot of myths flying around about them, but with a properly matched turbo and converter you shouldn't have a lot of lag. Also, they can be made very driveable. Just do a little research before you install the biggest turbo, injectors, intercooler, etc.... you can.

There are some nice turbo kits out now. So, it's not that complicated to install a setup if you have the dough.

James

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Can always go with both ;).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well, on a carburated car, it has to be a supercharger. It is possible to get a carburator tuned properly with a turbo, but it will take up more time than it's worth. With EFI, turbo is the way to go. The latest turbos are pretty efficient and as long as you properly match it to your engines power band, lag will be minimal. Also, anytime you compress air, the temperature goes up. This holds true for both turbos and sc's. So heat is really a non-issue. It's really just about cost, and ease of installation.

Dan

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Newbie-ish question here...What's the difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger? Sorry, I just know that both add more HP...

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Both are air pumps that are used to increase the amount of air entering the compression chamber. The Supercharger does it by being driven off of the crank (usually a belt), the turbo does it by putting a fan into the exhaust system.

The amount of rpms the air pump turns per engine revolution is constant for a supercharger regardless of engine rpm, with turbos the air pump rpm to engine rpm ratio will vary with engine rpm.

John Harvey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts